• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake Feeding question.

MrMatt

We have an amel that eats like a pig. Every time we offer her food she eats. She is about a year or so old and not yet full size. However she was fed last Saturday (1 full size mouse), Monday (1 full size mouse), then Thursday I thawed another out for her and our het corn (that was in blue so I didn't feed it to her) our amel then ate both full size mice one after another. Can I over feed them or will it not bother them?

In my personal option...YES...you are over feeding your amel corn. They only need to eat every 7 to 10 days once adults. And some snakes will not eat in blue. She is probably very full right now.

Good Luck!
PJ

Thanks. My Amel wasn't in blue though, when I noticed my het blood red in blue I decided to attempt to feed the amel it's meal to not waste the FT mouse. I won't feed them in blue. She is highly active, pooping, and all over her enclosure so I assumed she was out and about to feed. I'll be sure to get them on a schedule again.

Thank you!

Some corns are busy all the time, usually the males when they reach sexual maturity. Especially in the spring!

Schedules are great...believe me. Write it down on a notebook or on their homes. That way you wont ever have to guess and it is easier to spot problems.

Good luck,
PJ

Corns are opportunistic feeders and can eat whatever comes their way, whenever they're offered. They're capable of eating themselves into such an overweight state that they become obese and have shortened lifespans.

Just because a Corn *acts* like it needs or wants food, that doesn't mean it *actually* needs it. Sometimes after eating a full roast dinner, my Mum searches the kitchen cupboards for a packet of biscuits. We hide them. You need to do the equivalent!

My adult Corns eat one adult mouse, every 2 or 3 weeks. My 23 year old is doing nicely on that regime.

If your snake is eating that much she'll get fat like any animal . My female sasha likes her food so now I give her one weaning rat pup and feed her every seven days.

My adult Corns eat one adult mouse, every 2 or 3 weeks. My 23 year old is doing nicely on that regime.

Your corn is 23 years old?! Wow! What age did you start feeding every two weeks? I want mine to live that long :D

iHerp is a great tracking system. It's free. You can track feeding, sheds, etc. You can also track breeding records, if you chose to do so.
The only problem with it, is that it doesn't have an app for Droid :-/

Your corn is 23 years old?! Wow! What age did you start feeding every two weeks? I want mine to live that long
I've had him since he was three and fully grown, so I've had him on a 2-3 week feeding regime for all 20 years that I've owned him. 3 week feeds are getting more common in the last year or two. I was expecting him to need more food as he turned into a pensioner, but as he's becoming gradually less active, he seems to put on weight more easily and that goes on as flab rather than muscle tone.

At his age I don't like to push the exercise angle too much as he isn't naturally inclined and has never been that keen on being handled. I can only imagine how it feels to potentially have arthritis in all those rib joints. Ouch! I reckon the guy deserves a quiet life.

(Sorry folks, this is all a bit O/T...)

How long is a 23 yr. old? I heard they continually grow til they die.
LOL! If that were true of growing lengthwise, I'd need to be keeping Jonesy in his own shed by now! Nope, he's just a pretty standard five footer.

Back