• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake on Baytril for URI

jp575

Hi, I have a 11 year old female corn snake. Two days ago I brought her in to the vet and was given baytril for a respiratory infection. Prior to the Vet, she was wheezing and exhibiting open mouth breathing. However there was never any bubbling or mucous. I am giving .15cc SQ injections every other day for 3 weeks. The day of and after the first injection she seemed to be getting better. However today (day after second injection) she is breathing open mouthed and making some more crackely noises.

She is still eating perfectly fine.

Temps are boosted to 90 degrees

How long should it typically take for the baytril to start reducing symptoms?

Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you
Jake

The most effective way to treat RI is to use a nebulizer with a solution of F10 in it..You will still have to put Baytril in as an antibiotic is needed...Since we first posted on this treatment, we have been to see it in operation on a GTP and a tortoise. Both were well recovered in a week...

I am giving .15cc SQ injections every other day for 3 weeks.

Im no expert, but that may be slightly over medicating. Also, I would think that a smaller dose everyday, would be more effective as well.

If the vet did not tell you, make sure all injections are in the first 1/3 (nearest the head) of the snake.

It will probably be a few more days to a week or so, before you start to see improvements. Recovery takes longer in reptiles than in mammals.

well, she seems to be getting better. However she still opens her mouth every once and a while. It's been a week since the first injection.

I had a similar problem with my Leucy

The URI and open mouthed breathing is a common issue. The Baytril works, but it will take a while. My snake was into her 2nd week of treatment when she started to improve. I upped the temperature of the enclosure to between 87 and 90, and I dropped the humidity to regular room humidity. She dried up and was able to breathe clean within 2 weeks. The injections left small lumps that are just starting to dissipate now, and the injections were given in late October. The vet says it is normal.

My vet was kind enough to give me a Baytril tablet which I was able to take to a compounding pharmacy where they made it into a liquid to be given by mouth. It takes three weeks to run the course of treatment, but he showed improvements after the first dose.

Back