• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake or Ball Python?

Twoboyz

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer thier opinions on which one makes a better pet? Corn snake or ball python? I love my corn so much and am planning on gertting another one soon. However I'm also considering getting a ball python. I'm new to this and I admit I"m a little intimidated by their size.

Thanks!

I admit I"m a little intimidated by their size.

Actually, Ball pythons will grow to lengths that are similar to corn snakes. However they are fatter, which is maybe what you meant. But the female, which are the longest, usually grow to about 5ft.

The only down side I have ever heard about Ball pythons vs. corn snakes is that ball pythons tend to be finicky eaters. They can stress very easily but they are also consider a "beginner" snake species, just like corns.

Corn snake! They are good eaters and come in many vivid colors. Balls are nice and I own one, Marbles, who is a sweety, but corn snakes make the best beginner snakes in this newbie's opinion.

Thanks. I'm looking at some pictures online and, thought very beutiful, I think I might stick with corns for a little while. They just look HUGE to me.

well...I can tell you from experiance they are different pets. Really, for me the things I didnt think of that I wish I had when I got my BP(my first snake was a corn, the second a ball python) is that their prey items are larger (depending on how old your corn is, but my bp eats small rats, my first corn eats large hopper mice... a fairly large size differance) so they take up more room in the freezer. Also, they can be tricky eaters...Although going to a good breeder and getting an established feeder helps with that. They're a good snake to hang out with, as they dont 'do' much...in general I've found my ball to be a bigger PITA than the corn. Might not be a bad idea to get more experiance with cornsnakes before taking on a ball...and if you do get a ball python, get a cool morph. They're not expensive (as they used to be anyway) and there are some really neat ones out there. If you're going to a good breeder anyway, you may as well see what there is. :)

Thanks so much for the information. I'm taking the advice. I'm not warmed up to the idea of large prey yet and I can barely fit our frozen food in the freezer. I do love to look at all the cool morphs though. They are gorgeous animals.

Okay so I go to the reptile show today and what do I come back with? Yup, a 2 month old ball python. I fully intended to get a corn, but my son fell in love with him and I caved. I kinda fell for him too. He was just so calm and sweet. I'm just hoping he eats well next week.

Here he is. I have only gotten pictures through the glass since he's in his acclimating period. I don't know if I mentioned before, but we named him Creed after one of my favorite bands. Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 30
Cute little ball there. They really are only girthier and I like chunky snakes so don't be put off by the size. Good luck on feeding and make sure your temps and humidity are spot on- minor errors contribute to their non feeding reputation:)

Thanks for the encouragment and advice. I'm pretty paranoid about making everything perfect so hopefully all will be good. I have a digital therm/hyg on order with an UTH. Right now all I have are the heat lamps for a couple of days, but hopefully I'll have it all set up soon, definitely before he eats. Thanks for looking.

My personal oppinion, Balls are a bit more personable than Corns. But that's just my experience. I like heavier snakes (I have two ball pythons) and my Balls are absolute lovers. :)

Not to hate on Corns, my two babies I love to death, but I am a python / boa person at heart. :D

Back