• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake Question!

BrandNew

Ok well i wanted to ask a couple questions.

1.How big do corn snakes get. (round wise) like as round as a toilet paper role or what? ( )

2. How do your corn snakes do when their being handled? I heard their quite hyper..is that true? if tried to let him around me while i do homework with out holding him constantly would he sit still or take off?

3.any Pros and Cons of you owning your Corn Snake?

4.Im just asking becuase im debating bettween a Corn and a Ball

5. How do most of you have your Cages setup. (im asking beecuase i see balls need like two UTH"s, but i heard corns would only use one. It's just so confusing so if you could explain THanks)

6. thank you for reading. And sorry if this has been posted 1,000 times. :-offtopic

Happy to answer :D

1. How big around? Well as you might have read it depends on the corn, I have seen a 900g male and he was thicker (girth) than a toilet paper roll. but he was rather large for a corn anyway. And in the grand scheme of snakes corns are quite small, It's the pythons that get really big and thick lol.

2. All corns act differently. It depends on if they are used to being held or not. Babies generally move a little faster than adults and are harder to hang on to because they are so small. We have some that a kind of hyper, and other are content to hang out in a sweatshirt pocket for hrs lol.

3.This is a rather long list lol but I'll name a few Pros
* Only need food once a week (usually only are fed mice)
* They are fairly low maintenance (heating / humidity)
* Don't need an extremely large viv (like a python or boa)
* The are so beautiful colors and patterns
* The only con is the more you have the more your friends think your
weird lol

4. Lots of people keep more than one genus of snake. It's really up to you what you get. I wont have a python cause I don't want to have to feed it bunnies when it gets big lol

5. Balls= bigger everything! bigger viv= more heating and more cleaning

It's really up to you, I love corns so I'm a bit biased lol

Happy to answer :D

1. How big around? Well as you might have read it depends on the corn, I have seen a 900g male and he was thicker (girth) than a toilet paper roll. but he was rather large for a corn anyway. And in the grand scheme of snakes corns are quite small, It's the pythons that get really big and thick lol.

2. All corns act differently. It depends on if they are used to being held or not. Babies generally move a little faster than adults and are harder to hang on to because they are so small. We have some that a kind of hyper, and other are content to hang out in a sweatshirt pocket for hrs lol.

3.This is a rather long list lol but I'll name a few Pros
* Only need food once a week (usually only are fed mice)
* They are fairly low maintenance (heating / humidity)
* Don't need an extremely large viv (like a python or boa)
* The are so beautiful colors and patterns
* The only con is the more you have the more your friends think your
weird lol

4. Lots of people keep more than one genus of snake. It's really up to you what you get. I wont have a python cause I don't want to have to feed it bunnies when it gets big lol

5. Balls= bigger everything! bigger viv= more heating and more cleaning

It's really up to you, I love corns so I'm a bit biased lol
At 65 Corns and still adding,.... my friends think I am more than weird!! lol. Just surround yourself with other Herp Lovers and you'll go from being weird to being a "Snake Dude" lol!!

1.How big do corn snakes get. (round wise) like as round as a toilet paper role or what?
Average length of four and a half feet - some longer, some shorter. Toilet roll wide would be the top end as K said. Most are smaller. You'll never need to feed anything bigger than an adult mouse.

2. How do your corn snakes do when their being handled? I heard their quite hyper..is that true? if tried to let him around me while i do homework with out holding him constantly would he sit still or take off?
Most can be made calm with regular handling, but I'd never put a Corn down while I did something else like homework. Most of mine would be off like a shot and even adults can squeeze into the most ridiculously small gaps and be gone for good.

3.any Pros and Cons of you owning your Corn Snake?
Pros:
-Mostly have lovely temperaments and are easly handled. As with any other animal, you do get odd ones that never take to humans, but those are very much the exception with Corns.
- Easy to source food - they eat defrosted mice all their lives, so any outlet handling reptiles will stock their food. You can also keep a stock in your home freezer so you don't have to go shopping for it every few days.
- Adult Corns eat about once a fortnight, which means they poop and need cleaning once a fortnight. Not exactly a high-maintenance pet.
- They come in a stunning range of beautiful colours and patterns. There's one out there for everyone.
- They don't need constant attention and they don't crave human interaction. You can go away for anything up to a week and leave them unsupervised (as long as the set-up is correct) and they'll be absolutely fine.
- They don't bark or night, dig holes in the lawn, poop in the neighbours' gardens, throw up in your slippers or get into the trash!

Cons:
- They live for 15-20 years, so they're a long-term pet. Most kinds of snake will be. When you buy one, you have to look ahead through leaving home, going to college, meeting a partner and potentially moving around for work.
- You might have trouble finding someone to pet-sit when you go on vacations longer than a week. Most people don't mind cleaning a kitty litter or opening a can of dog food. However, many people won't want to put their hand into snake's tank to take out and clean a water bowl.
- Landlords tend not to like pets, so if you have to get your own rented accommodation you either have to sneak them in and risk eviction, or spend a long time shopping round for someone who will accept them.

4.Im just asking becuase im debating bettween a Corn and a Ball
I had a pair of Balls for a couple of years - didn't get on with them at all. They can be much pickier eaters than Corns and their constant refusals of food gave me the shivers. I sold them back to the reptile shop in the end.

5. How do most of you have your Cages setup. (im asking beecuase i see balls need like two UTH"s, but i heard corns would only use one. It's just so confusing so if you could explain THanks)
- You need one UTH, that covers one-third of the floor area at one end of the tank. Corns need belly heat rather than an overhead heat source - they don't bask. No UV necessary either.
- The warm end needs to be 85-88 degrees, which means you'll need a thermostat or similar to regulate the UTH. Most will get well over 100 degrees which would be dangerous for a Corn.
- They need constant access to clean water - I use non-tippable ceramic dog bowls, but there are plenty of alternatives. Keep the water bowl at the cool end to minimise condensation.
- Corns come out at times of low or no light (dawn, dusk or overnight) so you don't need a light for their benefit. As long as the room they're in gets some natural sunlight, they'll be able to figure out what time of the day or night it is.
- You need a minimum of two hides, one at the warm end and one at the cool end. However, I stuff my vivs with as many hides and as much ground cover as I can get in there. Hides need to be small enough that the Corn has to squeeze into them a bit. Thyey like to feel the sides and/or top of them so that it feels secure.

Hope that helps.

Average length of four and a half feet - some longer, some shorter. Toilet roll wide would be the top end as K said. Most are smaller. You'll never need to feed anything bigger than an adult mouse.

Most can be made calm with regular handling, but I'd never put a Corn down while I did something else like homework. Most of mine would be off like a shot and even adults can squeeze into the most ridiculously small gaps and be gone for good.

Pros:
-Mostly have lovely temperaments and are easly handled. As with any other animal, you do get odd ones that never take to humans, but those are very much the exception with Corns.
- Easy to source food - they eat defrosted mice all their lives, so any outlet handling reptiles will stock their food. You can also keep a stock in your home freezer so you don't have to go shopping for it every few days.
- Adult Corns eat about once a fortnight, which means they poop and need cleaning once a fortnight. Not exactly a high-maintenance pet.
- They come in a stunning range of beautiful colours and patterns. There's one out there for everyone.
- They don't need constant attention and they don't crave human interaction. You can go away for anything up to a week and leave them unsupervised (as long as the set-up is correct) and they'll be absolutely fine.
- They don't bark or night, dig holes in the lawn, poop in the neighbours' gardens, throw up in your slippers or get into the trash!

Cons:
- They live for 15-20 years, so they're a long-term pet. Most kinds of snake will be. When you buy one, you have to look ahead through leaving home, going to college, meeting a partner and potentially moving around for work.
- You might have trouble finding someone to pet-sit when you go on vacations longer than a week. Most people don't mind cleaning a kitty litter or opening a can of dog food. However, many people won't want to put their hand into snake's tank to take out and clean a water bowl.
- Landlords tend not to like pets, so if you have to get your own rented accommodation you either have to sneak them in and risk eviction, or spend a long time shopping round for someone who will accept them.

I had a pair of Balls for a couple of years - didn't get on with them at all. They can be much pickier eaters than Corns and their constant refusals of food gave me the shivers. I sold them back to the reptile shop in the end.

- You need one UTH, that covers one-third of the floor area at one end of the tank. Corns need belly heat rather than an overhead heat source - they don't bask. No UV necessary either.
- The warm end needs to be 85-88 degrees, which means you'll need a thermostat or similar to regulate the UTH. Most will get well over 100 degrees which would be dangerous for a Corn.
- They need constant access to clean water - I use non-tippable ceramic dog bowls, but there are plenty of alternatives. Keep the water bowl at the cool end to minimise condensation.
- Corns come out at times of low or no light (dawn, dusk or overnight) so you don't need a light for their benefit. As long as the room they're in gets some natural sunlight, they'll be able to figure out what time of the day or night it is.
- You need a minimum of two hides, one at the warm end and one at the cool end. However, I stuff my vivs with as many hides and as much ground cover as I can get in there. Hides need to be small enough that the Corn has to squeeze into them a bit. Thyey like to feel the sides and/or top of them so that it feels secure.

Hope that helps.

Thanks For the info *quickly changing my mind on ball pythons*

#1 as above ^
#2 'Pends on which one of mine I handle! One will bite lol, another will chill around my neck or go up a sleeve. One will slowly try climbing to something and wants to roam everywhere. Most of my youngsters will move real fast trying to get away. They are mostly all different!
#3 You may start a large collection of them (pro and con)
#4 choose Corn snake! - less space requirement, cheaper to feed/house, more affordable and comes in many more morphs.
#5 I have 1 UTH per corn, in 10-20gal aquariums with rheostats, but setting up to use a rack or two using heat tape and thermostats
#6 That's OK!!! You will get our experiences ans we get to know you and it is two-way; is always something to learn from someone, newbie and experienced herper alike
You'll get tons replies to this thread! fun thread to post in haha

1. Totally depends on the corn. Some are really round for their length, some are really slender.

2. Young corns are sort of 'twitchy' and don't usually stop moving around because they're curious. Adults may be the same or just curl up with you like a ball python. Depends on the snake.

3. Duh. :rofl:

4. Corns are almost never picky eaters. You'll get a ball that'll eat ravenously the first week, then after that it'll die because it went off feed for no reason. Besides, a corn can live in a 20gal all its life (10gal if you handle it a lot) ; BP's need 30gal or more. Plus, those will eat rats, and most corns stay on mice. I've also heard that some BP's won't eat f/t; corns have no problem with it usually unless the owner did something stupid (like fed them live for the hell of it once, then the corn would refuse anything that wasn't live).

5. Very funny. You use one UTH for the right size tank. Period. Zoomed makes some great ones.

If you seriously want a BP, then get a corn, have that for a few months and learn about snakes AND BP care, THEN get one that you know has been eating for the pet shop. A big BP is usually a sign of one that's eating. I haven't had a BP, but my brother has one. BP's are pretty similar to corns in terms of length though.

Thanks For the info *quickly changing my mind on ball pythons*
Thank you! But don't make a hasty decision based on my info alone. I didn't get on with Balls but plenty of folks here do. Hopefully others will be along who've had a better experience with them and can give the other point of view.

Thank you! But don't make a hasty decision based on my info alone. I didn't get on with Balls but plenty of folks here do. Hopefully others will be along who've had a better experience with them and can give the other point of view.

Lol YEa i know but looking up on some stuff i love the morphs butter stripes, motley stripes ,and ghost stripes are some my favs.
also feeding is something eles i dont want to be a problem
And i'd rather have a little active snake them a boring ball that stays in my ball.

Balls are only in a ball when they're upset, scared, or in their hide. I've had happy balls in Pet Supermarket (where I got my very awesome corn) stand 1/4 of their bodies up for me and move around a lot. They never seem to move around and pose when I have my camera, though. :laugh:

So if you ever do decide to get a ball but don't want a really shy one, look for one that looks healthy and big, and is moving around. It's so common for me to see balls that are active I wouldn't buy one that was curled up in a tight ball or hiding in the corner unless it had just fed.

Hi, I also struggled between a cornsnake and a ball python. I have went with the cornsnake. I was told ball's tend to be a bit lethargic. I already have a bearded dragon, who doesn't do much of anything when she's not eating crickets. She will run around my living room on occasion, I find it very entertaining. So I was pretty excited knowing my corn snake would be like that all the time.. Some people see that as a negative, but I think it is much more fun to handle.

Hi, I also struggled between a cornsnake and a ball python. I have went with the cornsnake. I was told ball's tend to be a bit lethargic. I already have a bearded dragon, who doesn't do much of anything when she's not eating crickets. She will run around my living room on occasion, I find it very entertaining. So I was pretty excited knowing my corn snake would be like that all the time.. Some people see that as a negative, but I think it is much more fun to handle.

Agree i have a uro who dosnt do much of anything but his occasinal stand on his hind legs for food or glass dance lol.
So a More active reptile is pretty cool

Friends? Other than Cornsnake forums friends? What are those?
Seriously.. corns are easier from what I understand. I had a python about 20 years ago and had no luck with it at all...of course I didn't have any proper instructions and it died a couple of months after buying it.
Corn snake ownership is addicting but it is the best addiction!! We have 18 now and had just one when we signed up on here in January. We plan on starting with 25 and plan on breeding too. Like K. Rene said...there are so many different morphs in corns..look at the photo albums on here and you'll see what we mean. But it is all personal preference..we hope you pick corns so we can see pics!!
So welcome aboard!

I see you are in VA too!!!

Friends? Other than Cornsnake forums friends? What are those?
Seriously.. corns are easier from what I understand. I had a python about 20 years ago and had no luck with it at all...of course I didn't have any proper instructions and it died a couple of months after buying it.
Corn snake ownership is addicting but it is the best addiction!! We have 18 now and had just one when we signed up on here in January. We plan on starting with 25 and plan on breeding too. Like K. Rene said...there are so many different morphs in corns..look at the photo albums on here and you'll see what we mean. But it is all personal preference..we hope you pick corns so we can see pics!!
So welcome aboard!

I see you are in VA too!!!

I have friends >.>... if thats what you mean
And yea i'm leaning towards corns but if i do get one ill post pics.

:cool:;)I wasn't implying you didn't have friends..I was referring to the fact that the friends on here are the best ever!! And we are glad to have you join us!!

Back