• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn snake vision... Do your snakes use their eyesight?

Bree

My snake behaves as if she cannot see much at all. She will startle if I move above her, so I think she may be able to detect either motions or shadows, but she does not respond at all to objects moved around in front of or directly next to her. I have waved her pinky right in front of her and right next to her eye, and she does not seem aware of it until it's touching her nose or tongue. Once she smells it she will orient toward it, but quickly "loses" it if I move it ever so slightly further in front of her. I know snakes rely heavily on their sense of smell, but I have been wondering if she might have especially poor eyesight?

I have read about the "zombie dance" being recommended for reluctant feeders so it seems that snakes must have some use for vision, but Bunny doesn't seem able to see the pinky at all.

I read this in an article: Holtzman found a few age-based differences in the cues snakes use to extricate themselves from the arena. Young snakes - - those up to three years old -- appear to be more adaptable and resourceful, using a variety of clues to find their way to the exit. But their elders seem to rely much more heavily on visual cues, becoming a bit befuddled if the brightly colored card marking the exit hole is tampered with.

"Actually, one of the interesting findings from our studies is that snakes use vision at all in locating places," says Holtzman. "They don't just rely on the chemical cues picked up by flicking their tongues out, as many snake biologists assume."

After reading the article I wonder if corn snakes simply don't develop their eyesight until they are adults. In that case, perhaps Bunny's eyesight is just fine for a baby. Anyone notice any differences in their older and younger snakes with regards to vision?

Bunny is my first snake, so I am trying to learn about her little snake life as she experiences it. :)

i read that predators come from above, so if you go to grab them from on top in stead of sliding your hand under it, it could think your a predator, and i think just with snakes we have as pets just get calmer or more use to people and arent as jumpy at all. i think my baby corn sees just fine. you can put your finger in front the cage and move it. it will come to the glass to see what it is.

Back