• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snakes Inactive?

Ocelot

Hey guys. Is it normal for Corn Snakes to be very inactive? Everyday my snake would just stay in its hide and never come out! Sometimes it would come out at night if I had the lights off, but only sometimes.

I would like to see my snake crawling around my vivarium just to know its alright and stuff.

Am I giving my snake too much light? Everyday I have the light timed from 11am to 7pm, but then there is a light in the room which is on most of the time. Could this be a problem?

I have two hides aswell. He always seems to be in them. Should I leave them or what? Also I have a climbing tree which he never uses! Do corn snakes like using climbing trees?

Thanks. ;)

Sound about right. Corns are "nocturnal" so you shouldn't seem them much during the day. If you want to see him crawling wait until night and that means late sometimes too. Is there any reasons (high traffic area, dog or cats) for him to be stress and in the hide?? You have two hides so it might be that you need some extra fake plants /leave to make him feel more secure. Give him some more "cover" might help to see him crawl more. Cardboard tubes and such.
When it come to light I do something like what you do only because of the area I have my snakes, but I turn the light off at sunset. Lights are mainly for your benefit to "work" with your snake . Cleaning, checking out the husbandry, but corn don't really need the extra lights. And they seem to like to climb around. Post back with anything else.

Good Luck.

a lot of the time it depends on your snake. i have all 11 in the same room and all of them have different fellings about crawling around and such. one of mine is a floor dweller, andother is one that likes to glide along the lip of the tank. i have two that never come out, ill catch one out on her leaves once in a blue moon... the other i have to look under the tank (glass) and ill see her under her bedding...
Lenny did give good advice tho. i did notice that when you give them more hiding places you tend to catch them more often roaming from one hide to the other. i think the idea of leaves and tubes would help you.
good luck..

I have two corns that I rarely saw out and about until I added some artificial plants to their vivs. I went to a local craft store and bought a 6ft. length of vine (it was all plastic, no wire) that I cut into smaller pieces. I placed a piece in each viv and my corns love 'em. They're always crawling around between the leaves or 'hiding' in the vine somewhere. Hope that helps.... :)

You know what the funny thing is? Last night after getting off these forums I saw my snake perched up on the climbing tree I have. Sorta weird seeing as he never did before then when I talked about it, he did it! :D

i honestly dont leave lights on my corns snake's vivs during the day. there's really no point. they're nocturnal and have no need for light. sunlight comes through my bedroom window so i think thats enough for them to tell if it's daylight or not. and i've noticed that they tend to come out more and explore when the lights are out. even when the sun is outside, they'll sometimes still come out of their hides during the day.
i have a light for my rat snake's viv because i've seen him climb up in his vine and lay under it. and he's more active during the day.
and i've noticed the more i fill their viv with plants and hiding areas, the more often they'll come out of hiding...as they get larger, i'll remove some things to give them more room to roam. but for now, i think the more plants the better. i've seen Aidan and Blaze hide amongst the silk plants where you can barely notice they're even there.
here's aidan on his branch...i've seen him here a few times. usually he's watching me!
000_0256.jpg

I'm gonna make this thread sound like a broken record - I agree with adding fake plants.

Make sure you don't buy them at a pet store. You can get the same thing much cheaper at a Walmart or craft store. The snake might hide in the plants and feed secure, but you can still see the snake through the leaves. So you'll be able to check on its health without taking it out.

I consider my 1 corn snake to be pretty active, and I'd say 3/4 of his life so far has been spent in his hide boxes. It's just the way snakes are. There is a way to see your snake almost every day. Get more snakes. :)

i agree with getting plants from a craft store or walmart. the petstore is too expensive and it's really not worth it. you'll probably have to replace them from time to time when they get dirty.

Slippery Ernie said:
I'm gonna make this thread sound like a broken record - I agree with adding fake plants.

Make sure you don't buy them at a pet store. You can get the same thing much cheaper at a Walmart or craft store. The snake might hide in the plants and feed secure, but you can still see the snake through the leaves. So you'll be able to check on its health without taking it out.

I consider my 1 corn snake to be pretty active, and I'd say 3/4 of his life so far has been spent in his hide boxes. It's just the way snakes are. There is a way to see your snake almost every day. Get more snakes. :)

Compare the prices you'll see that they're talking about, and there will be more selection too.

Back