• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Substrate

Whats the best substrate to use with corns???

i currently have mine on large beech chipping's and was looking for a different type of substrate!

I was just wanting to know everyone's opinion on the best substrate to use!

traf2006 said:
Whats the best substrate to use with corns???

i currently have mine on large beech chipping's and was looking for a different type of substrate!

I was just wanting to know everyone's opinion on the best substrate to use!

Do a search in this forum (Husbandry) and read the thousands of opinions that have already been submitted. You'll find that most experienced keepers recommend aspen. That's what I use.

Thanks i was looking at that yesterday at the pet shop, but i couldnt remember what it was most ppl use but now i remember it is aspen!!!

I use "Jungle Earth" by Exo-Terra. It is easy to work with and it looks nice in a snake aquarium. It is good for live plants too if you have any in there.

Nick

I would like to get shredded aspen too but no one sells it near me..I've got my amels on beech chip but I hate the look of it and would like somethin a little darker I think that Scylla and Medusa would look lovely on it..Anyone recommend anything which I could use??cheers,V :shrugs:

viktoria333 said:
I would like to get shredded aspen too but no one sells it near me..I've got my amels on beech chip but I hate the look of it and would like somethin a little darker I think that Scylla and Medusa would look lovely on it..Anyone recommend anything which I could use??cheers,V :shrugs:

There were at least two threads started in the past two weeks about where to find aspen in England, or what good alternatives were. You could do a search and find out some good info from people over your way.

I have just tried a search using the key words aspen and england and am not having a lot of luck at the moment.I remember colinmcc replied to the same question a couple of weeks back but he is in scotland and thats an eight hour drive away!!!!I know he can get aspen but I don't know if it's possible to get it in cambrigeshire...If it isn't possible to get it within an hours drive,would that coconut stuff you have to soak from a brick be ok?I used it with an orchid bark covering for my water dragon and didn't have any problems other than it finds it's way into the water bowls..Any suggestions???CheersV

i think you mean eco-earth!

I live in Middlesbrough, UK, there's only one pet shop that sell's aspen near me and it's £4.50 a bag, a bag would probably cover a 3' x 2' viv without a problem....

if you really want some i could buy it and post it to you.. if you send me the money!!!

Just a thought

If you try place's like pets at home and thing you might find it near the small animals section, not many pet shop's stock it with the reptile's it's normally near the mice and rat's and things..

I have checked out every place I can think of,I used to work for Petworld at focus {poo} and we never got that in even when we were selling corns,boas and various other reptiles...they put them on reptibark most of the time and from what I know now as opposed to the training I was given,the conditions they were being kept in were far from optimal,which was why focus stopped selling live animals to people on Impulse... :-offtopic [sorry] anyway would that eco earth do??Or is it too dusty?I found that when I used it for Dino that it got bloody everywhere if the viv dried out..And as corns don't need mega humidity,I thought that keeping them on that stuff might be detrimental to thier nostrils....Just a little thought!!!V :shrugs:

Back