• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corns in Australia?

Modigliana

Hi everyone! My first post here, although I've been lurking for a while. I have a profound desire to get a corn and it's a delight to see so many like-minded herpetobsessives on this forum.

I was wondering if there are there any other Australians here? Are corns readily obtainable? In my state (NSW) one needs a licence to keep native reptiles: does that also apply to non-natives like corns? I notice that aspen shavings seem to be the substate of choice among the members here, but since that's not something one could readily find in Australia, what is the substrate of choice hereabouts?

(Hoping I'm not the only Australian posting. If so, ignore all the above! And yes, I fully intend to suck the brains of my local herp society, so to speak.)

Cheers,

Modigliana

Hello! I dont have the answers you are looking for, but I'm sure you will find them. There are tons of helpful people here. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but AGES ago I posted a question (on the old forum) about corns in Australia. At the time I was thinking of moving to Oz and wanted to know if I could take my snakes with me. Someone replied saying I couldn't because corns weren't a native spp and therefore they didn't want them introduced due to all the potential risks to the snakes that do belong there. I'm not entirely convinced about this because I'm sure I saw steve and Terri Irwin's daughter with a corn on tv (and Steve says he had a corn as his first snake)!! Anyway, you could try getting in touch with them through their website. I'm sure they'd have all the info you'd need on corns in Oz!

Hi Rachel and thanks for the reply.

I suspect your problem with bringing corns to Australia was to do with quarantine and our strict rules about bringing in flora and fauna. (We've learned some hard lessons about non-native animals destroying ecosystems over the centuries!) The corns that are available here are locally bred or brought in under licence.

I've made a start... ordered a corn book from a local pet shop, downloaded an application to get a reptile licence and found Sydney's amateur herp society, where I should be able to find someone who sells them. I won't be getting a corn till next year, because we're going to Europe for a month early in the year, and I don't want to rely on friends to look after it while we're away. I'll be asking enough of them to help with the rest of the menagerie! So in the meantime, I'll just live vicariously by reading the posts here and drooling over the fabulous photos people post. Corns are such a delight (she said, stating the bleeding obvious. :)

And thanks, Aradia, for the welcome!

Cheers,

Margaret

Back