• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cornsnake genetics 101

Alfheim

Wannabe Norwegians
I'm far from new to genetics, however, cornsnake genetics have me going crosseyed.
I know miss Amber is a combination of two recessive traits (hypo and caramel/hyperxanthic) now, what happens if you combine it with another recessive? What would happen if one bred an amber to a lavender or a charcoal or anything else with a recessive genotype? Which phenotype would show up? Also, without knowing miss Amber's parents, could she be het for another trait?
We're looking in to getting a "Rob" for our Amber and would like to at least harbor the idea that we could breed them some day and end up with something cool.
Thanks

Alfheim said:
I'm far from new to genetics, however, cornsnake genetics have me going crosseyed.
I know miss Amber is a combination of two recessive traits (hypo and caramel/hyperxanthic) now, what happens if you combine it with another recessive? What would happen if one bred an amber to a lavender or a charcoal or anything else with a recessive genotype? Which phenotype would show up? Also, without knowing miss Amber's parents, could she be het for another trait?
We're looking in to getting a "Rob" for our Amber and would like to at least harbor the idea that we could breed them some day and end up with something cool.
Thanks

Amber x anything not homozygous or heterozygous for caramel or hypomelanism will result in all normals.

Joejr14 said:
Amber x anything not homozygous or heterozygous for caramel or hypomelanism will result in all normals.
This is a short but clear answer from Joejr14 .
I suggest you look for a Rob with caramelgenes ; caramel , butter , amber if you want to avoid passing the step of normals offspring

Alfheim said:
Thanks
With the exception of motley/stripe and ultra/amel, each of the corn mutants is at an independent location in the genome, so they act independently... whatever is at the caramel locus in the male will be crossed to whatever is at the caramel locus in the female, whatever is at the lavender locus in the male will be crossed to whatever is at the lavender locus in the female, etc etc.

So, as Marc said, if you want to make something other than normals in the first generation you'd want a male that is carrying hypo and/or caramel genes.

Back