• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Correct Feeding Procedure?

Ocelot

I've had my corn snake for about two years now, but up until this stage I've been feeding her by placing two mice in a shoebox, then putting her in with them every week.

However, now she's too big for the box, and I don't know how to feed her now. I don't want to leave the mice with her in the vivarium because I fear she will eat the substrate. How do you correctly feed your snake?

Also, is two rat pups a week the correct amount to give a two year old snake?

Thanks.

I forget what they are called but you could go to the pet store and see what they have in the portable Viv they have also you could go to
Walmart or something like that and just get a clear storeage container. Something larger than what you have now. I forget what there are called too. Like Tupperware

Ocelot said:
I've had my corn snake for about two years now, but up until this stage I've been feeding her by placing two mice in a shoebox, then putting her in with them every week.

However, now she's too big for the box, and I don't know how to feed her now. I don't want to leave the mice with her in the vivarium because I fear she will eat the substrate. How do you correctly feed your snake?

Also, is two rat pups a week the correct amount to give a two year old snake?

Thanks.
Don't go by her age,go by her weight and girth to find the right size meal.I put mine in a big rubbermaid tub. :wavey:

I could always find a bigger box, but I wouldn't know how to get her back into the viv, seeing as you shouldn't handle snakes after feeding.

Just pick her up and put her back.The no handling after feeding,means once you put them back in there"home" leave them alone for a few days.Just put her back,don't play around with her.Search the "Munson Plan" for a weight/food guide. :cheers:

Oh I forgot,make sure you wash your hands before you pick her up to put her back.If you smell like the mice or rats,she'll have a little suprise for ya when you reach in to get her. :) ( I must be getting soft in my old age,normaly,I would have told you to make sure you rub your hands all over with the mouse before you get her!) :devil01:

Here's what I use for adults. Even the biggest fit fine. Got it at Target.

The lid clips keep the snakes inside.

Attachments

• Sterilite_Show_Offs_Storage_1894-resized200.jpg
    Sterilite_Show_Offs_Storage_1894-resized200.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 103
Yeah, as already mentioned, just get a bigger box. I use a deli cup for hatchlings, sterilite 6 qt shoebox once a deli cup becomes a hassle, then a 16 qt sterilite for adults that are too big for the shoebox.

I just use a cardboard box to feed all my snakes in. They don't care what they are put in....

I prefer something secure like sterilite boxes so I don't have to worry about them escaping, especially when feeding multiple snakes at once.

I'm always in the room during feeding, so I can keep an eye on them. With 40 snakes to clean and feed, I have plenty to do in there while waiting for them to finish!

My adults were purchased as adults and were used to being fed in a big bucket, so I've continued that with them...but the rest are in sterilite/tupperware containers for feeding. With hatchlings they are in deli cups until too large and then shoeboxes :)

snake in a maze

I built a wooden maze, about 6' long complete with dead ends and passageways, as a feed area for my young-adult corn. I let a mouse run the maze for a few minutes to leave scent, then I let the corn enter from the other side. It's awesome to watch the corn pick up the scent and negotiate the maze as he hunts for the mouse. I'm sure it's too time consuming for a breeder or multi-snake owner, but since I'm a one snake guy, I like to spoil him and let his hunting instincts shine...

That's great Epistropheus, what a wonderful thing to do for your snake. And yeah, you're right, it certainly would be too time-consuming for a breeder lol.

ya.... no way I would have that kind of time and I am not even a big breeder.... LOL :) but about 30 snakes.... no way :) plus I dont feed live...

why are you guys putting feeders in a box ? I just wave them in the air until he strikes or just put them on the viv floor........any harm this way ?

The only harm in that, kingnoddy, is that odds are your snake will miss at some point ;) Your snake is more likely to associate your hand in the tank as feeding time. It may make it more likely for them bite later.

kingnoddy said:
why are you guys putting feeders in a box ? I just wave them in the air until he strikes or just put them on the viv floor........any harm this way ?

Depends on what you have for a substrate, anything that could be ingested by the snake (other then newspaper or paper towel) could cause a blockage. Most prefer to avoid vet bills.

susang said:
Depends on what you have for a substrate, anything that could be ingested by the snake (other then newspaper or paper towel) could cause a blockage. Most prefer to avoid vet bills.

ahh that makes sense. I use fine wood type stuff from the reptile store & some probably get eaten with the mouse. I'll try a box in future.

As for getting bitten.....not yet :)

Back