• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Correlation between color morphs and behavior?

jaric

Hey all :wavey:

Well sunday is the big day for me, I go to get my first corn snake. (going to the local monthly reptile show)

My tank is set up, temperatures are stable all that is missing is my new friend.

My question before I go is that to anyone's knowledge do cetain color morphs typically exibit certain behaviors?

I know that each snake is differant and that underneath it all they are all corns but I wonder if through the genitics of the differant morphs do certain morphs pick up other genes along the way that may influence behavior?

Right now I am leaning towards a Miami Phase, Okatee, Butter, or just a simple common corn. That was all based on the colors, and the final descion was going to be made on the interaction I had with the specific animal and let that be the final judge.

Thoughts?

:grabbit: (added because I think this smiley is hilarious)

Most keepers will tell you that there is generally no correlation between morph and behavior. Bloodreds and sunkisseds have a reputation for nippiness, but there are plenty of bloods and sunkisseds out there that are mellow too.

I would caution you on one thing: I'd go with healthy and pretty over attitude. I've had snakes that were very friendly at a show, or out of the shipping box, or at the pet store, then after a few days of acclimation, they're little devils. :devil01:

Roy Munson said:
Most keepers will tell you that there is generally no correlation between morph and behavior. Bloodreds and sunkisseds have a reputation for nippiness, but there are plenty of bloods and sunkisseds out there that are mellow too.

I would caution you on one thing: I'd go with healthy and pretty over attitude. I've had snakes that were very friendly at a show, or out of the shipping box, or at the pet store, then after a few days of acclimation, they're little devils. :devil01:
Good to know Roy,

I should have mentioned that the health of the animal was sort of a number one priority.

Hopefully Smaug (the name I decided on) doesn't turn out to be one of those little devils you mentioned

:toiletgra (again, because I think this is funny)

Roy Munson said:
I've had snakes that were very friendly at a show, or out of the shipping box, or at the pet store, then after a few days of acclimation, they're little devils. :devil01:

You seem to have that effect on people...uh, snakes, Dean. :grin01:

Back