• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Couple of quick questions regarding sterilite tub and UTH?

rainkeltoia

Hello! I have my new hatchling (Hitch) in a sterilite tub -- its quite roomy for him right now, I have a 20 long reptile tank ready for when he gets larger with a locking mesh top. But I figured he'd be too overwhelmed with that large, so I set him up in the sterilite tub. Its warm enough in the house for now (Maine summer, around 80-85 during the day in the house, 50s at night but I closed the windows so it stays about 70 in his room). Should I get a UTH for him? I'm concerned about its size (they all seem to cover more than half the bottom of the tank that I've seen) and overheating. Winter I keep the house 70, so I know I will want it warmer in his tub for that time. I know a dimmer is suggested to work out the temp, but how does that work? Sorry for the somewhat stupidity of the questions, I just wanna keep my little guy happy and healthy. He's doing well with checking out the tub, very curious and calm seeming. He hasn't fed yet, since I just got him yesterday, but I wanted to make sure I had this right to avoid regurgitation or non-digestion. Thank you for your time!

Yes, he needs a UTH. And UTHs need thermostats. And Sterilites need binder clips along the ends and sides to keep the snakes in- they bend very easily.

He'd be fine in the 20L.

Sorry my mistake, its larger than 20 litres I think, its... 12inches x 36inches x 15inches roughly (h x l x w).

Also how safe are UTH for sterilite tubs? I have one attached to the larger tank but its quite large, too big to put on this little one. (The tank was given to me by a friend after his beardie died).

Yes, he needs a UTH. And UTHs need thermostats. And Sterilites need binder clips along the ends and sides to keep the snakes in- they bend very easily.

He'd be fine in the 20L.

o.o I've never put clips on my tubs, but I always get the snap down lids.

Also how safe are UTH for sterilite tubs?
Completely safe as long as you use a thermostat to keep them at a low enough temp. A Corn's safe maximum is below human core body temp, so the UTH will never get hot enough to melt the tub, if that's your concern.

Completely safe as long as you use a thermostat to keep them at a low enough temp. A Corn's safe maximum is below human core body temp, so the UTH will never get hot enough to melt the tub, if that's your concern.

thanks! Yes I was concerned about any fumes from the plastic getting hot etc, wasn't sure if there was something else folks used for sterilite tubs. I bought him a slightly larger tub today with locks instead of the snap top he's in now. after the first feed here, once he's settled for 3 or 4 days I think I will merge him into that one and use the one he's in for feeding.

Back