• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

couriuos--does anyone know about snake deities?

red_nan

i was just reading the threads about talking to your pets----and that made me wonder if some of those old deities/cults/whatever your term may have some insights to behavior of our pets ect..

well i'm off to the land of net reseach on snake gods.

see ya

hehe, an interesting question and thought here red-nan
let me tell you a little story here -
ive got a 4 yr old amel corn, poppy, whos soo sweet, well to me she is anyway, my sister went to touch her and she recoiled her body ready to strike (the little cow, lol) anyway i put my hand slowly towards her head and said something like "no, no little poppy, what are you up to? you know me, you dont bite do ya?", anyway she straight away settled back down and just carried on crawling about my hands. it was weird my sister did touch her after that and she never recoiled again. lol. it was like she listened to me, it was weird, there probably is an expaination for her actions but still i like to think that my scent calmed her as she knows me and she listened to me. haha.
:)

I have read that snakes MAY be able to sense vibrations caused by our voices so it is quite possible that the combo of your familiar scent and voice calmed the snake.

hehe. thats good then. they like me! they actually like me!
lol
ok im going now
:)

this is a big topic--i've found i think it was 230 some snake gods--a few were "evil/bad" but most were good. if i find anything really interesting i'll post it

hi i'm new here i just want to say that when i talk to my Anubis i looks like he is aculay paying atention to me weird huh

red_nan,
Any particular type of culture from which you're looking for snake dieties? There are a number of gods and goddesses in Egyptian mythology. Let me know if you'd like some info!

not any one culture yet-just trying to find stories that shows behavior of snakes or understanding of behaviors

Ok, here may be a few points of interest:

*Amaunet was an Egyptian snake-headed goddess whose role was healing.

*Mehen was an egyptian god in the form of a coiled snake. He was the protector of the sun god.

*Meretseger was another Egyptian goddess - her name name transleates into "she who loves silence".

On King Tut's mummy mask (poised at his crown) are a vulture and a cobra rearing to stike - the snakes role was to protect the king from attack by enemies. This cobra was a godess by the name of Wadjet whose oversaw the north.

There are alot of stories in Egyptian Mythology involving snakes...some are good, some are not. Most of the stories deal with creation or some sort of involvement with the gods and can be lengthy.

Unfortunately, I don't know any GOOD stories involving snakes in other cultures. As far as I know, most stories involving snakes give them a bad rap. Maybe there's something to be said for snakes in one of the Asian cultures...perhaps in Chinese mythology?

I'd be interested if anyone had any information on GOOD mythological stories from other cultures involving snakes as well!

native american has quite of few dealing with creation and being gods of lakes, war, fire, can't remimber the others

Back