• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Covering the inside of a wooden viv

DrGraeme

Chiropractor
The wooden viv I have just bought is not made of solid wood and I would like to make it a little more moisture/poop/humid proof.

Other posts have suggested varnish... Should I be useing a water-based varnish rather (less residual fumes)?

I also have the idea of using adhesive vinal covering, kinda looks like fake laminate. Any advice on issues with fumes/vapours from the adhesive?

Also.. (last question I promiss), I would like to adhere a nice looking background to the back pannel, are there any types of glue that are recommended or not recomended? Or are there better ways of doing this.

Thanks in advance guys, all suggestions are welcome.

Most varnishes should be OK as long as you let the fumes clear completely before using the viv. This can take a week or two. If you run the heating for a few days with the doors open before putting the snake in, that should make sure that the fumes clear. I used the stuff designed for wooden floors and I've seen no adverse effects in my snake.

The only varnishes I'd avoid are the ones designed for boat hulls, as these contain chemicals to prevent barnacle and algae growth.

Laminate covering sounds good but conditions in the viv might make it prone to peeling off. Haven't tried it myself, so hopefully someone else can advise on adhesives.

(last question I promiss)
That's a rash promise. After 22 years of Corn keeping and 6000+ posts here, I'm still asking questions! It's like saying "This is absolutely my last Corn Snake"... :)

LOL!!.. Thanks Bitsy, I hear you.. was meaning just for that post.. ;-D

Well it might be a good experiment to see if it does stick under those conditions. Might even double-trouble with varnish then laminate.

Back