• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Crimson issues?

Kitty

You rang?
Boy, trying to categorize questions can get tough, but here goes ...

If I understand the genetics correctly, crimsons "branch" from Miami Phase. Do baby crimsons tend toward the genetic predisposition for refusing mice in favor of lizards when they hatch? How tough is it to switch them to mice, if they do refuse?

Thanks! (husband is slowly coming around to corns over boas - Woot! I just wish he didn't like the toughest starters best.) :)

I also have questions about the crimsons. Is a crimson the same as a hypo miami? Are crimsons by definition banded? Where does the "hypo milksnake phase" fit into all this?

My Crimsons started on F/T pinks just fine. So did my miami though. At this point they have been bred for looks and not strict locality so there are a lot of different bloodlines in them now, a lot of them not even from florida. As a result most lines I have seen really didn't care what they got for a first meal.
You can shop around for a breeder that works with non picky animals. Most breeders will know what their hatchlings from various pairings prefer.

for some reason miamis are known to be difficult feeders and often need lizards to get going, not easy in the uk

Fortunately I bred out that lizard preference from the Miami Phase and this has carried over into the Crimson line.

As for the confusion about "Hypo Miami Phase" and "Crimson", yes, my Crimsons did originate from my breeding Hypomelanism into my Miami Phase line. However, I chose to call them "Crimsons" but it appears some others may have applied the "Hypo Miami Phase" name to their similar projects.

At one time I used to divide a variant of the Miami Phase into a category I called "Milk Snake Phase". However, I don't believe there was ever a time when I referred to anything as Hypo Milk Snake Phase, at least not officially.

Once the line between "Milk Snake Phase" and "Miami" became too blurred (because I always kept the best of the Miami Phase that tended to look like the Milk Snake Phase, I decided to drop the "Milk Snake Phase" label.

As for banding, I can't recall ever producing, or really TRYING to produce, any Crimsons with banding. I have had numerous "banded corn" projects over the years, but it proved to be difficult and only low predictability in the offspring, so each and every time I finally terminated that project. I do not foresee ever starting up another.

I thought milksnake phase could be described as crimson (colored) banded? Milksnake phase has never been silvery background with red saddles I think? I'd expect them to have a almost white to tannish background with bright, orange saddles. Am I not right?

Sorry, but no. When I was working with the Milk Snake Phase, the silver gray backgrounds and wide red blotches are the ones I selectively bred for. Those brownish or tannish background colored ones just popped out of nowhere now and again. And as for orange blotches, nope, I never really produced any like that.

Some of my original Miami phase stock actually had gorgeous orange blotches back in the late 70s, but somehow I lost that entire bloodline through one means or another. Which at one point I regretted, because thinking back I thought that perhaps that was a TRUE Anerythristic corn, only lacking the red pigment, but retaining the orange.

Back