• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cruising the cage question.

Razorblade Jinx

I have two living locations, My parent’s house, and my dorm room in the same city. Now I have noticed that when Circe’s viv is in my house she is always extremely active. Poking about and peeking around corners during the day and climbing all over the place during the night. But the second I put the viv in my dorm room (anywhere in my dorm room) she hides under the substrate and will never EVER come out. During my school year I did not see her outside of the tunnels she hides in even ONCE. Not even to peek out. Now I have always assumed that active in viv=happy, and she was miserable in the dorm room so she hid. But then I realized there was a chance that she was always active because she couldn’t find a comfy spot to hide in and in the dorm room she was always comfortably tucked away. Does anyone know if they are active (or inactive) due to comfort or discomfort?

Interesting...are there major differences between temps house -v- dorm? What about activity or noise in the rooms Circe is kept in? I'm really interested to see what the more experienced among us have to say!

Same thing with mine... I think it has something to do with temps though. I have no real hard proof, and very limited experience, but ever since I moved to my apartment, it's been hot here and I don't have AC like I did in my dorm room. Now, Mojo almost never hides, he's always up on top of the substrate and he moves around a lot. There's no temp gradient anymore because I have the UTH unplugged and the temp is right around the mid 80's. I know that's starting to push it with no gradient, but I'm trying my hardest to keep him cool by putting him in front of the open window (no direct sunlight by the way) and in front of my fan. Last week the temps dropped down about 30 degrees for a few days and he was back to normal. Then it got hot again and he started right up doing the same thing...

I don't have direct experience with activity levels in two different locations but I do have experience with dorm rooms. I was thinking along the lines that Rosebear was with regards to activity. I figure you probably already considered this, but may have overlooked it. I know that there were constantly people in and out of my dorm room until at least 3 in the morning most every night of the week. Also, maybe the proximity of you or other people to the snake's cage. Maybe you're in closer quarters in your dorm and that causes her to be more shy?

i guess my question was more "do you think they are more comfertable and active as a result, or more comfertable and hiding?" but anyway, yah the dorm room was way diff. It was a lot wormer in there, my roomie would NEVER turn the lights off (no matter how much i bitched about it) people were always moving about and so on. But i think, if anything, it was just too damn worm for her. She hit in the cool spot under the water a lot. Because here, at home, she is out and about all the time even if people are around.

Back