• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Curious humidity readings

Kitty

You rang?
After several weeks of fretting over humidity, I began to suspect the thermo-/hygrometer w/probe wasn't giving me a good humidity reading. It constantly read within 1% of the non-probe digital sitting on the table beside it and within 2-4% of the (now calibrated) analog in the same area. My suspicion was aroused when I misted the tank and humidity readings didn't change. (I know my air isn't that dry!

So, I experimented: I put the analog on top of Contessa's favorite hide after I misted the tank (she's in blue, or rather, dull beige). I put the other digital directly on top of the cage (wire mesh cover).

Twenty minutes after misting, analog in the viv reads ~54%, digital on top registers 48%, digital w/probe gives me 41%.

Has anyone else noticed this sort of weirdness?

Btw, I haven't tested temperature settings, but with the probe directly in the center of the uth, I'm reading within 1 degree of my thermostat setting. And both digitals were Wally-World purchases, analog is from pet store.

So, thoughts, suggestions, anyone else seeing this?

Do you have the Accurite thermometer? The dig with the probe, I mean. If so, the humidity sensor is in the unit rather than the probe. If you do like I did (before I knew better) and leave the unit outside the viv, it will not be recording the humidity INSIDE the viv, but rather where the unit is sitting.

The same for the other dig hygrometer. If you leave it on top of the viv, it is recording the humidity ON TOP of the viv, rather than inside it.

Taking those facts into consideration, your humidity sounds normal to me.

Thanks, Becky!

You just confirmed what I had suspected. Yes, it is a Acu-rite and the read-out unit is sitting outside the viv. What a pain!

But, I went ahead assuming that was what was going on and started 'creativing' a way to make it all work for me anyway. :santa: Thanks, again, for the input!

Back