• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Custom cage on the way

Paintdrops

So this weekend I will be building my viv, it will be 4ft long by 1 1/2 feet wide and 1 1/2 deep.

The back and bottom of the viv will be wood, the 2 sides and the front will be glass (all of which will be fitted into a wooden frame as well) the top the of viv will be 2 side opening doors covered in a soft screen like mesh. Then a diver in the middle of glass, fitted into slits cut in the wood on the side and bottom of the divider. Hopefully it'll make more sense once everything is put together.

for the wood on the bottom ill be gluing AstroTurf so nothing from the wood can harm them, then a layer of substrate. I'll also be making a bunch of home made hideaways and be branch hunting :p

As far as heating the plexiglass on both sides of the viv will have temp controlled heat pads.

This is my first set of corn snakes so hopefully I am doing everything right, with helpful tips from threads on here. Please let me know if there are any suggestions in the things i should change or if you think there is something that wont work well, preferable before i buy the materials on saturday! :p

Thanks for reading :)

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it. You probably already know this, but make sure not to use any resinous branches (cedar, pine, etc).

You should definitely post some progress pics as you go.

I would vote against gluing astroturf to the bottom of your cage. You need to take out and wash that stuff a LOT. Just use a marine urethane on the wood, sand lightly between coats, and it will be harmless for your snakes. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you Chip, soon after posting I decided it was a bad idea as well. I dont want anything i cant take out and clean.

Astro Turf stinks anyway. It looks okay when it's new, but it isn't at all absorbent, so a big poop just sits there. Glued to the bottom of a cage would have been a nightmare. I'd err toward aspen shavings, Yesterday's news, or something you can spot clean and change.

Well what i am using now is eco earth and coconut shavings i dont even really like the look of AstroTurf

Back