• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

custom decor

Senusenu

20140324_123305_zpsii3c22la.jpg

They are sealed with two coats of polycrylic, and the inside of the bowl up to the flat rim is coated in aquarium sealant. This is Sutekh's enclosure.

20140409_042535_zpseh0fjwgo.jpg

I had wiped down the glass, so there's some water drops on it. I've got two pieces of moss covered tree bark styled decorations, and one "rock" that I didn't originally intend to be rainbow, but then I got bored :p The piece at the far back right is meant to look like various fossils- ammonite, trilobite, fossil leaves, and petrified wood.

20140304_193754_zps5akaquee.jpg

20140311_004915_zpseglllagt.jpg

20140311_005209_zpsoryr7ib5.jpg

The following is a bowl that is almost complete. It has two coats of polycrylic, so I need to coat the inside in silicone and then let it sit for about 5 days before use.

20140405_212035_zps9x63jlzc.jpg

Construction:
20140326_023003_zpspzqbie4q.jpg

20140325_033255_zps8wsxnzh3.jpg

20140326_022943_zps3kyaqnsz.jpg

20140404_203906_zpsczmcy1wk.jpg

I have many more ideas I can't wait to create, and I am getting a little collection of stencils to add to my clay kit. I do have some colored clay, but generally I like to use plain clay and then hand paint it. I think each piece I make leads to an obvious improvement of skill, but I still have a long way to go.

Thanks for looking!

These are REALLY cool!
Have you always made clay stuff, or did you start because of the snakes?

I started because of the snakes. I saw another post someone had made about making custom hides for their snakes and I loved the idea, and I love being creative in general. I tend not to like the decor at shops except for the natural materials (cork, bamboo, etc) so I wanted to play around with making things I'd really enjoy and it's just too fun.

What an AMAZING job you did! You should start making those and selling them here or on Etsy. You are amazingly talented!

I especially love the rainbow rock, it actually looks like colored quartz with the sheen.

What an AMAZING job you did! You should start making those and selling them here or on Etsy. You are amazingly talented!

I especially love the rainbow rock, it actually looks like colored quartz with the sheen.

Thank you :) I am actually interested in developing some to try to sell, once I am satisfied that my construction is good and will hold up to moderate use. I doubt I could make anything for full grown snakes just yet, but I know what I have done so far, before the giant bowl, will certainly last them at least a year and a half. Udjat is about a year (I'll have had him for a year in June at least) and coule fit inside either of the hides two or three times over still.

See, aren't snakes awesome?! They broaden horizons in so many ways!
I may have to come to you for tips & try my hand at decor making, sometime.

Very very nice! I have been thinking of doing some themed hides with clay, how heavy is the large one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love these so much! You did a great job. What kind of clay did you use? There are so many kinds. If it was 'Sculpey' what type was it? They make several types. Looking for a winter project!
Thanks!

Beautiful!
I really like that hollow stump with the mushrooms in it's original white state. I've been playing around with the idea of a tank that is "naturalistic," but also kind of a fantasy theme, with everything in faded out grey and white tones.

I would like to know about the clay, and the firing.
Did you use a real kiln?
I know nothing about pottery - always been interested, but the initial expenses look steep.

Sorry guys, I hadn't logged in for a while! I appreciate all the nice feedback :)

It's Sculpey III, which is "cooked" in a normal oven, it doesn't need firing in a kiln. I used the big, white block and painted it, but you can use the colored ones as well if you prefer. Follow it up with 2-3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic- I used semi-satin but you can use gloss or satin, just depends on what you like the look of.

I did have one bowl crack. The inside of the small bowl cracked because I had overlayed a very thin layer of clay to add some thickness, and that layer cracked after maybe 6 or 9 months. The large tree stump bowl is still going strong though with no signs of cracking and is still in use by my big boy, Ankh.

I haven't made anything new, our tiny apartment we moved to is so cramped I have to shift half my room just to reach my snakes. We'll be moving again soon, to hopefully a bigger place where I'll have room for a "craft corner" and can make more.

When I do, I'll add them to this thread.

Thanks for the info!

I've been looking at sites that use foam for DIY rock ledges and backgrounds. So far, however, I've just bought what I've needed ready-made.

I too, can't wait to move so there will be more space for crafts!

Back