• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Custom Hides

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
Hi,

I have a four foot snow corn that I wanna spoil a little with a new DIY hide my question I'd what are some ideas for it. I just made one out of a coffee can. I cut out about 1/4 of the side of the can so its shaped like a log I don't know if its big enough and if it is can I spray paint it to or do I need sealer also (its plastic )

I know some of the higher end spray paints work fine but if you are worried then just use some polyurethane clear coating spray as well. Non dusty or polymer clays work really well(such as terra cotta or sculpey) for hides. I also use baked/boiled pieces of bark or an arc cut from pvc pipe that have been painted. Aquarium and reptarium decor from the petstore can often have cool results. If you don't want to spend much then just use a thicker layer of substrate with a piece of cardboard over a part, or half a cardboard box with a hole, or just things youve found around the house like that coffee can. Im sure everyone else on here has a cool idea for hides.

You can use water-based spray paints. Scoff the plastic with suitable abrasive thing like 400-600 sanding paper and use primer from the same water-based spray line. You can clear it if you want, it helps it to survive cleaning etc. better.

Well the plastic is water proof anyway I was asking cause I have a can of indoor outdoor spray paint laying around he seems to be enjoying the can
20120503151641.jpg

Maybe a little lower to the ground and a bit longer but no wider for anything you make would be my advice.

I would be careful with just using any old spray paint. I just painted two large snake hides I was making out of a 5 gallon bucket I cut in half and I used Valspar premium enamel spray paint, I called their support line and they said their paint shouldn't be toxic once cured, but I don't trust the stuff, it still smells like chemicals and who knows what will happen once it's under a heat lamp and on a heat pad, I'm going to get another bucket and start over with a confirmed safe spray paint so I can sleep at night. Don't risk random spray paint,I finally found one spray paint I trust, as people even use it in the aquarium hobby below water. I read on forms people have used it without any issues in aquariums under water so I will trust it for a snake hide for sure. It's called Krylon Fusion for Plastic, but the can says on the back you can use it on a number of different types of materials.

Water-based acrylic spray paints are one safe option. Krylon has some I think, they're usually sold as "hobby/indoor/kids safe/H2O" or such names. Water-based give out less fumes, but the gas used for pressure in the can still smells quite nasty.

Back