• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cypress Mulch Substrate

BJM - corn

Newbie on the forum here......

I have a question about substrate; does anyone have any bad experiences with Cypress Mulch? Or even heard of using it? I have had a corn for 6 years now and have used it from the start with no problems, but maybe I am lucky!

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

BJM

If you haven't had any issues with it then kudos to you! For most snake set-ups, cypress is used for tropical varieties, like pythons and boas. Cypress wood is naturally rot resistant and retains moisture for lengthy periods. This combination makes it idea for high humidity enclosures.

Personally, I don't use it for my corns since the higher humidity levels can cause skin and respiratory issues.

substrate

Hey,
I think that the humidity for my corns is about 40-50%. I don't think I have ever used cypress mulch for my boas or ball pythons. I use reptile bark for my ball pythons and I use coconut stuff that i found at a pet shop for my Brazilians.

Charlene Dourty

I use coconut for my BRBs as well, but many use Cypress. Notice I stated it was for tropical varieties in the last post. I apologize if it came across as including every Boid.

I don't monitor the humidity levels for my corns. As long as they shed whole, I don't worry. (This is the case 99% of the time). I have Brazilan Rainbows in the same rack that are sitting at >90%.

I use cypress mulch for everything I own expect for the leos (corns, rat, balls, and boas). FEED ON A DIFFERENT SURFACE/CONTAINER, this will prevent any accidental ingestion of substrate. On the humidity issue, don't place it into the enclosure until it is complete dry (leave sit out for a night or 2), you can control the moisture levels much better and spritz when nessacary. I have found this easier cleanup then other substrates (bed-a-beast, reptibark, etc.)/

Thanks for all of the replies! I have been monitoring the snakes enclosure because of a recent (and ongoing, under vet care) health issue and never really paid attention to the humidity either. I do find however that the snake does much better at shedding since we bought a house and moved out of the appartment. I always seem to have a humidity level between 50% and 60%.

cypress mulch

I use cypress mulch with my year old aztec, and have had no problems at all. I had one shed that was not complete, but now I give my corn a bath close to shedding time and that fixes the problem.
I was considering changing to paper towels (for cost and ease of cleaning) but I like the look of the cypress, and it gives him something to rub against when he starts shedding.
Just a note: I always feed in a separate container

Back