• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dangers in assuming male/female

chag67

I have assumed that my Gold Dust (Ty) is a male. Is there any dangers or problems that can occur due to making this assumption? i have no plan on breeding Ty. Do females, not being bred, have different care during breeding/egg laying season?

I do plan on taking Ty to a vet within the month for a "checkup" and to have him sexed.

Nah, Ty should be totally fine and happy living a pet, no matter what the gender is.

Sometimes females can lay a random clutch of non-fertile eggs (slugs), but it's not usually common, or harmful. Just keep an eye out if you ever see slugs in the cage.

Sometimes adult males can refuse food during the breeding season - nothing but lurve on their minds! This can even happen when there are no females in the house.

It can be a bit alarming the first time it happens to a reliable feeder, but it's a normal behaviour. Nature designs them to go for a few weeks without eating at that time of year, so you just keep offering his usual food at, say, fortnightly intervals until he decides to start up again.

Back