• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dead skin?

7legion77

I first saw this during his last shed. There's a small section where the scales look brownish red, and there's a strange indentation in the snake's body.
I hoped this would be gone in his next shed (which happened nearly 5 weeks later), but its there. Not to mention, he had an awful time shedding yesterday, after a few successful recent ones. I soaked him in a closed container with a wet towel, gave him a bath, tried everything. Most of the skin came off but there was long threads of skin hanging off his face. I gently removed it, there might be just a few fragments left but I'm afraid to tear it off. It seems like he failed to get breakage of the skin on his nose, which is where a proper shed begins.
Here's pictures of the "dead skin" I'm talking about:
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That almost looks like an infection or a wound/scar. The red really worries me. You should take your snake to the vet. You sure there's no chance it got bit? The pattern reminds me of some of the wounds that Ratbait has.

Not sure if its a bite, but you never know.
His previous shed came out in two pieces, and this was the part of the body where it split off and a small section of skin was retained. That's why I think its dead scales that were never shed. Somehow my vivarium or room humidity isn't very conductive to proper shedding.

I am not inclined to panic over this, I am hoping the dead skin will eventually come off. When I examine it closely, there is no puncture, just some dried up discolored scales. Albinos look reddish under certain lighting, and don't think its blood.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I believe this might have happened because I misted the viv heavily to acquire a better shed months ago (this discoloration has been present for quite a while). Perhaps there was a little too much moisture and a form of bacteria took hold. That's just a guess based on what I read in my useful Kathy & Bill Love's manual.
I'll see what happens next shed. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem.

To be honest the new pictures actually concern me a little more. I hope everything works out ok for your little snow.

I don't think it's blood either. I think it's *infection*. If it's been going on for months, then it's been far too long that you've put off going to the vet.

Take proper care of your pet!

It hasn't spread though, its actually shrunk. There is nothing abnormal about his behavior... perhaps I will go to the vet. But I'm worried about the costs.

I guess the question is, what if it is an infection or something. How would you feel if you find out too late? While it is "just a pet" and you could always get a new one, that's not fair to the animal. You're responsible for it's well being. The vet might cost a penny, but it's a responsibility that comes with having a pet.

(I can't see the pictures for some reason. I'm just voicing my opinion).

I guess the question is, what if it is an infection or something. How would you feel if you find out too late? While it is "just a pet" and you could always get a new one, that's not fair to the animal. You're responsible for it's well being. The vet might cost a penny, but it's a responsibility that comes with having a pet.

That's exactly the question I'm wrestling with right now... I think I just might take him to the vet. Stay tuned!

Very well put Kurt! I could not have said it better.
I cannot see the pics either, they're little boxes with x's in them for me.

Last night before going to bed (I barely sleep) I put some neosporin on the area.
Checked it this morning and ALL the redness is gone, its looks a LOT better. Just like that. Neosporin works phenomenally well.
I'll withhold a vet visit for now, sanitize the tank, and see if it keeps healing with the next shed. If the condition persists, then it could be an infection. And honestly if a herp vet bill didn't have the potential of wiping my meager bank account clean, I would have taken him long ago. Thanks diamond!

You'd be surprised. Most herp vets aren't all that costly. It usually runs me around $100-$250 every time I have to take an animal to the vet. Just depends on who you see.

Last night before going to bed (I barely sleep) I put some neosporin on the area.
Checked it this morning and ALL the redness is gone, its looks a LOT better. Just like that. Neosporin works phenomenally well.
I'll withhold a vet visit for now, sanitize the tank, and see if it keeps healing with the next shed. If the condition persists, then it could be an infection. And honestly if a herp vet bill didn't have the potential of wiping my meager bank account clean, I would have taken him long ago. Thanks diamond!
That's awesome! I've never used it myself but read so many good reports that I thought it might be worth a shot.

Back