• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dear, people that raise feeder mice...

I was wondering... do you ever get attached to any of your feeder mice and fight the urge to feed them to your snake? I've had mice as pets as a young child and I really loved them. If I get a few of those ugly red-eyed white mice to breed and don't hold them, etc then I probably won't become attached. Feeding babies to snakes, or any other animal almost seems cruel but it happens in nature all the time... it's just a fact of life. But here's the thing... what if I do become attached and I'm like... well I'll save just this one for breeding... and this one... and soon end up with like 10 "breeder mice" in a small tank to produce even more loads of babies.
Has anyone sold the babies to other snake owners? Or sold the mice to little kids as pets or anything? I'm really into making a profit or anything but yea... what if I end up with too many babies... then what do I do?
I probably won't beable to go through with this but I don't know....

Thats what F/T are for. I breed them. I do get attached. But I've gotten in the habit of being bitten or nipped by them. That is enough insentive (sp?) enough for them to be knocked off and fed off

I've gotten attached to my 1.3 and i actually dont plan on killing them, they're there to make babies which i will gladly feed off. I personally think that i would have a harder time feeding an adult that i raised than a pinky or a fuzzy.

Mice, hell no! Rats, yes. Mice are dirty stinking evil little cannibalistic monsters that I have no problem gassing and feeding off.

Rats are a different story. I started with a male and 2 females to breed for food and quickly got attached to them. first litter I kept 5 to breed and for pets and Ive since bought a couple dumbos to breed into the line. Ended up building a big 3 story cage for the males and buying a 3 story Martin's cage for the females. Breeding the different morphs is a lot quicker and easier than breeding corns. 4 months or so per generation as opposed to 3 or more years.

I breed both rats and mice, and I do the same thing with both. I keep the cutest, most adorable adults as breeders and only feed off the babies. Once the breeders get old or sick, I raise up its replacement and the cycle starts over. :)

Keep the cute ones for breeders and then when the start eating their babies or not producing anymore the increasing drudgery of cleaning their cage without excitement quickly makes them not as cute as they once were.

mice and rats are cutest in the jaws of a snakie :grin01:

dinner.jpg

I would also be considered quite friged, I have many "pet quality" mice that I breed. I have B&Ws, BEWs, silkies, frizzles, brindles, angoras, and combinations of most of these traits, and they all get treated the same. "Cull and cull alike" I keep only what I am selecting for, only what has the traits desired, and everything else gets frozen of feed.

AHAHAHAHAH :roflmao: That rodent looks like its screaming for mercy "LET ME GO. OH GOD PLEEEEASE LET ME GO" :roflmao:

Back