• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Defective Rheostat??

Also, try putting shims/blocks UNDER your tank, and move it to a more open (not a bookself) location. Mayhap air flow from all sides will help it lose heat.

Is it on solid wood furniture?

Could you try setting it on shelving with a wire/coated wire bottom and see if that helps?

I worry about having a towel in between the uth and tank... what if the towel overheats? Would hate to have it catch fire!

Given how big of an enclosure you referenced, you may not need to raise the temps on the cool side, as he will thermoregulate on his own, and I would hate to have you dry the air too much and interfere with shedding.

Just some thoughts :)

All good points that I think I have mostly taken into consideration...

I built a pedestal/stand for the tank so that air can flow and it is not sitting directly on the shelf. A simple frame, with brackets to keep the tank from slipping off. (I'm actually quite proud of my little project - it was the first thing I did when I learned that I would need a heater under the tank.)

I don't think that 110 degrees - the hottest my UTH was reading when it was directly on the glass - would be enough to set a towel on fire. I worried much more about cracking glass. If you think that our bodies are about 98 degrees, our parked cars heat up to over 130 degrees in the summer, who knows how hot the clothes dyer is.... Also, when I re-attached the UTH, it was attached pretty loosely too, allowing some air flow. I'll certainly keep an eye on it. BUT a wire rack between my pedestal and the tank to hold the UTH is place is actually a great idea... I'll be keeping my eye out for the right size.

I don't intend to have the heat lamp all year round. But that part of my house gets pretty darn cold in the winter. We'll see... it's that piece that I am lucky to have there if I need it, and I know the effect. I hope I don't because it is kinda a pain.

The humidity was reading okay when I did my tests. Lamp had little effect, at least this time of year. Another thing that I'll keep an eye on.

side note: Low humidity seems reasonably simple to adjust... I'm actually more worried about too much humidity in the summer...???

A wire rack IS a good idea. I actually keep my tanks on the plastic "egg crate" type of grating that goes over lights. Cheap and very easy to find and cut to fit.

Back