• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Desert snakes and lowering humidity

Twovultures

Lately, I've been thinking of buying some non-corn snakes, and I've really been interested in some desert-dwelling species: black mexican king, rosy boa, and kenyan sand boa. However, I live in a basement apartment in the swamp that is Washington, DC and the room gets pretty humid.

I was wondering what is the best way of lowering humidity in a terrarium (which seems to be a pretty rare problem). Looking online, the suggestions are fans and overtank heaters to help dry out an area. Anyone have an opinion on which is more effective?

A small dehumidifier for the room maybe? Be easier to to do the whole room than try to balance a dry environment surrounded by a damp one.

Kenyans handle a reasonable amount of humidity very well. I actually have to increase the humidity for mine.

Rosy boas are a fossorial species that I've had luck at keeping with darkened moist hides. Your southwestern US kingsnakes (cal kings, desert kings, and mexican black kings) are most frequently found in mesic areas or after brief monsoonal showers where humidity has been increased. Flipping for desert kings out here in NM usually easiest after modest rain that allows moisture to collect under debris.

I typically keep my corns, desert kings, and NM milk snakes very similarly with large water bowls and moist hides.

Go with a King Snake. Too many of my friends have had the Boa's an Pythons that out grew what they could afford for a tank.

Go with a King Snake. Too many of my friends have had the Boa's an Pythons that out grew what they could afford for a tank.

Sand boas stay very small. In fact, a male sand boa should never outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

To reiterate what has been said, I have kept both rosy boas and a sand boa in Washington State, where it is also incredibly humid (especially during the summer, when you have neither heat or AC to dry things out--so inside is the same 70% humidity as outside... or higher!). They did great! Incidentally, I now live within the native range of my Rosy boa and have seen no differences in her condition and health since moving to the significantly drier climate.

Keep an eye on them, but you shouldn't encounter any issues from having higher humidity than "normal."

Thank you to everyone for your responses! If I do get some of these species I'll definitely keep an extra sharp eye out for any skin or respiratory infections, but looks like I can in fact keep them in my room (which would make my roommates very happy).

I also may get that dehumidifier, but as much for me as any potential pets. Hopefully this series of storms end and we can go back to being merely swampy as opposed to tropical in my neck of the woods.

Back