• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Did I get a snake or a pig??

rainkeltoia

I just fed my lil boy for the 2nd time since getting him. He ate it right up nice and quick (found out after he rejected the first one I offered him that if I slit it or peel the skin back a little he's on top of it nice and quick). However he's looking for more! He's got a happy little bump in his belly and still slithering around looking for more. He's also drinking from his bowl, which is kinda cool because I haven't seen him do that before! Is it normal for hatchlings (he's maybe 3 months old) to be little pigs and want more than just one mouse? He's on pinkies, and ate last Thursday (Aug. 27). I waited 5 days and since he was showing hunting behavior I thought I'd offer food. Mostly I'm just curious to see if he's simply a piggy or if he should be offered more.

Thanks!

Yes, that's normal behaviour. Eating sometimes sends them into hunting mode. They don't actually need any more, it's just an instinct. 5 days between feeds on single pinkies is about right.

A snake, roaming around in the wild, may not encounter the right size of prey item on a regular basis, so their instinct is to stuff themselves because it could be a while before they get to eat again. So as a baby, if he found one that fit down his throat, he is probaby looking for more.

BUT!!! You don't need to let him gorge and then fast. He's not in the wild, and a meal every 5-7 days will be plenty.

Hee hee, I have a few who are "garbage disposals" and will eat anything that they think might be food. I think I could rub a marble on a mouse and my hognose would eat it. :D

I give 2 pinkies to large hatchlings for their first meal.
Then I mark which ones only eat one pinkie.
Some of the 2+ month old hatchlings which were on just one pinkie initially now take 2.
I hatchlings feed every 7 days. Other people have different schedules for feeding.

I think I might move him up, the lump is gone in 24 hours (I still wait 48 before handling) but I don't want to overfeed him. I am doing every 5 days, since that's what he was on, and he seems to be doing good. He hasn't shed yet, but I've only had him since the 26th, so I expect that to happen soon.

Moving up can be ok, but look at just 1.5 rather than 2 mice. My only regurge was Freddy going to 2 pinks when the lump was gone in 24 hours. Worked him back to 1 and a half and no issues from then on.

I've put F/T mice on paper towels before to keep the snake from ingesting substrate only to have the snake try and eat it after eating the mouse.

Back