• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Didn't eat for 3 weeks

Lans

My snake didn't eat for more than 3 weeks now. He shed during this time, but, it was last week, and he still don't eat.

I always feed him f/t mice outside the viv, in a box. Yesterday, when he refused the mouse, I put the box in the viv, and I found the snake this morning sleeping in the box, with the dead mouse!

My snake is almost 2 years old, and I never had trouble like that before, he always ate what I gave him. What should I do? Try to give him a living mouse? Take him to the vet? I live in Canada, I'm not sure if I can take him outside the house in winter.

Thanks for helping.

First of all, don't worry - a healthy 2 year old can go many weeks without food and with no negative effects.

Do you have any reason to believe the snake is ill or injured? Any unusual behaviour, or appearance for example? Have you checked and doublechecked the conditions inside his vivarium? Are the mice in good condition too?

If all seems well wait another 5-10 days and try again. Sometimes they just aren't hungry and will refuse for no apparent reason.

Don't feed live just yet - if it continues there are other tried and tested methods such as scenting f/t which you could try first.

The vet can't do anything you can't to make your snake eat. If his condition suddenly deteriorates or you have noticed symptoms of illness, you can and should take him outside and to the vet. They're quite fine if kept warm of course. In a box wrapped in a blanket for very short periods of time (i.e. getting in and out of the car) won't harm him at all - I took mine on a trip out on Sunday.

I hope you're reassured a little and that your boy resumes feeding very soon.

Hum, his viv was on the floor and I put it on a desk last mouth, maybe it's stress, or temperature change.

Thank for your advices, I'll wait and try again.

My butter went 4 weeks without eating

I wouldn't worry too much. My butter, Ray, refused 4 meals in a row. He's about 8 months old, and is looking pretty healthy. I was concerned at first, but since he didn't seem to be losing weight, was drinking well, and just basically seemed happy, we played the game of my offering food and him refusing it until he decided to eat again. Since I started putting his feeding pen in a bathroom with the door closed and the light out, he's started wolfing down his food within ~15 minutes of feeding again.

Just 4 - 5 weeks later, he's up to small fuzzies and is growing well (again!).

So ... I wouldn't worry too much unless he starts to lose weight, etc.

j

I keep feeding records for my snakes and I noticed that Mayzee (About 8 years old) stopped eating around 2nd week of January until 1st week of April, she has done this for the past three years and seems to be the same at present as she is again refusing food. I belive she is looking for love rather than din dins, so I am not worried and would suggest your snake is the same.
:shrugs:

Tracee said:
Ok, now I'm a bit worried! How are you measuring temperature??

There is a termometer in the hot side of the viv, on the substrate. It was on the window, but the snake make it fall and it don't stick anymore. About 21°C.

The viv is warmed by a UTH and a SunGlo. The snake his half is time in the cold side, half in the warm side.

This situation append often? Do my snake wants to hibernate? He is very active, more than ever.

I'll still try to feed him once a week.

Lans said:
This situation append often? Do my snake wants to hibernate? He is very active, more than ever.

I'll still try to feed him once a week.

Sounds like it's mating season for your snake. Is it a male? if so it might not eat for a while, this varys with the snake.

Good Luck :cheers:

I never probed it, I used the scale count method, and I tought it was a female, but, if it's normal for males to look for love by winter and stop eating, i'm reassured.

My male quit eating for 3 months last year. Sounds like male behavior to me as well.

Back