• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIE

Yvette

I am Yvette.
I don't understand why some snakes are dead in the egg. They are fully developed snakes, so why do they die? I just don't see why they go through all that growing and just die when they were supposed to be born. :confused:

Well I found a DIE with lots of scratches on the surface of the egg. I presume it couldn't break through and died through stress perhaps. Just a theory, otherwise I have no idea. It is all rather strange.

It probably has something to do with the egg tooth, not fully developed? Probably couldent get out. Died from exaustion, stress, and dont they also drownd in all that egg stuff? (I really dont know about corn snake egg development, but just a thought.)

Well I found a DIE with lots of scratches on the surface of the egg. I presume it couldn't break through and died through stress perhaps. Just a theory, otherwise I have no idea. It is all rather strange.

Interesting thought. I wonder if maybe it might be worthwhile to make small incisions in any eggs that haven't pipped within 24 hours to maybe try to "help" them out?

Though the only DIE I've ever had have always been pretty deformed and never had any chance to begin with. I haven't ever had a "normal" looking baby DIE.

Ironically I had one VERY alive baby that should not have been. It was the last egg which had not pipped 4 days after every other one had. I cut it open to find a wee bab with it's insides on the outside and fused in a coiled position. I could see it's wee heart beating.

Interesting thought. I wonder if maybe it might be worthwhile to make small incisions in any eggs that haven't pipped within 24 hours to maybe try to "help" them out?

My eggs started pipping late on the 25th. So far, 6 are out, 3 have pipped... and 7 have not yet done anything. I tend to get a couple new pips each day.

Some fully-formed hatchlings are DIE the same way that some apparently healthy human babies pass on soon before birth. Sometimes, a life just isn't meant to be and there is no obvious explanation.

It's more noticable with Corns as higher numbers of eggs give a greater chance that a breeder will see at least one of these in a career - sometimes more.

I even had a couple in the same clutch this year that managed to slit the egg and then died.... :shrug: Perhaps I should have helped them... but I tend to let nature have its course.

I had several of these this year which probably died a couple of weeks before they should have hatched. In this case I think it was imperfect incubation conditions. Nature probably would have done a better job on these. In other words, I think "nature" is an easy explanation that isn't always true.

Back