• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Difference between Okeetee and Extreme Okeetee?

Geminiluna

If this question has been asked here before, please point me to a link of the thread. Otherwise, what's the difference between an Okeetee and and Extreme Okeetee?

"extreme" = existing in a very high degree (exaggerated lengths)

Extreme okeetees typically have very thick black borders around their saddles or in the case of the reverse okeetee a very high degree of white borders around the saddles.

My understanding of it is, it's just a trade name. I think Graham Criglow was the first to use it. With good reason! His male, the Halloween Okeetee, has a great number of saddles which have such thick black borders the saddles are completely black. Add to that brilliant orange and red- there's your Extreme. A number of people have adopted the term. If you look at Graham's website, Strange Cargo Exotics, you can find a photo of the Halloween Okeetee. He's gotta be one of the top ten all time gorgeous cornsnakes.

And I have a daughter, Raven!!

Wow, Nanci! I just looked at Raven on your website. She's amazing!

Can Okeetee's get spots and stripes like motleys and such? Or does that change them into something that's no longer an Okeetee? (showing my ignorance of the morphs, here)

Depends on who you ask! An "okeetee" is just a normal corn, so you could have a motley or stripe okeetee, though those pattern mutations often mute black and contrast. 8 years ago, to me an Okeetee was a snake caught on the Okeetee hunt club in coastal SC. I've visited there a few times and caught a few snakes there. They are really, really pretty corn snakes. I can post some pictures of wild caught locality animals, I have owned over a dozen WC's. I still have one old girl left from the hunt club floor. But they probably don't look like you expect them to.
I appreciate "okeetee phase" normals, which have high contrasts and bright colors and sharply defined black borders. I do wish another name had been adopted, I like Robbie's "Fauxatee" best, and I do own some non-locality ones as well, and that is what I will label them as when I make and sell some one of these days. Extreme just means turning up the color, hue and contrast!

Would love to see some pictures of the WC locality animals, Chip!

I saw what is supposedly an Okeetee "hatchling" at the pet store yesterday. Couldn't tell much from the coloration on the little guy, but the belly checkers were spectacular. I'd never seen something like that before. I was sorely tempted to come home with it. But after Sixx, I'm a bit gunshy of a little one. But now looking at pictures, I'm tempted.

Hold off! Don't pick an Okeetee on the belly checkers. Here are a couple locality w/c ones from Okeetee:
xo466g.jpg

xbd760.jpg

I hardly even have any pics of any Fauxattes! I'll get some of the ones that are up before the new year and post 'em. Tap me on the shoulder if I forget.

(I'm going to make Okeetee-phase Tesseras in 2013, with Gartersnake and a girl that's on loan from Jarrett and Troy- Madras. She has the most INSANE aberrant pattern. So- I have no idea what is going to pip out!!)

Don Soderberg _might_ have 2012 Okeetees left. Lee Abbott undoubtedly has Okeetees for sale.

I'd be gun-shy, too, about buying from a pet store again.

I have a couple Fauxattees I could sell, but all that I don't have plans for happen to be irritable.

Chip, those are fantastic! (What is a Fauxatee?)

Nanci - the offspring from your Gartersnake/Madras pairing are going to have a lot of followers, for sure!

I think I've just decided to look for something along these lines of an Okeetee. But not from a pet store. And not a tiny hatchling. Learned the hard way already and cannot go through losing one again.

Hmm. I need to take picture, but I did happen to hatch the most confident and friendly corn snake I have noticed in a decade of hatching eggs... He's just a hypo, but I put him in the keeper rack just because he was always so curious and hardly even flinched at being picked up even as a little worm. I have never seen a better candidate for a hands on pet or program animal. As with 75% of my collection, I don't think I've ever even thought to take a picture, but if you wanted a sweetie for a pet, he would be it. Price is free, to the right home, naturally.
I have him at my store, but could snap a photo or two tomorrow/Xmas eve...

The problem with the term "Okeetee" is that it started out referring to a locality of corns found in a certain small area. Most of them had wider black borders and brighter oranges than other normals, so people started line breeding them to see if they could improve the look but along the way introduced non Okeetee locality blood, so a great lot of them are no longer "pure" which is distressing for a number of purists who believe only Okeetee Hunt Club animals should be called Okeetee's. Then it doesn't help that pet stores and small time ignorant breeders will call their normals Okeetee's, no matter what they actually are because for some reason that sounds better than normal or even Carolina corn. So there can be quite a bit of confusion over what Okeetee actually means. There are Okeetee's that actually trace their linage back to the Hunt Club, then there are the lookalikes, who were bred to look like the ideal of the Okeetee but may not actually have much Okeetee blood in it and then there are the ones that just get labeled it because someone doesn't know any better.

That's very interesting, Tavia! Considering my nerd hobby is genealogy, what you've said really resonates with me!

Chip, your hypo sounds fun. Did you name him 'Curious George'? Wonder what makes one different in personality/curiosity than another, or causes one to be more pet-suitable than another.

Wonder what makes one different in personality/curiosity than another, or causes one to be more pet-suitable than another.

IMO, a confident corn will only bite when confused on what is food. A more shy one will often retreat and rattle upon interactions. While the shy one may or may not bite when picked up, they tend to get tense, open their musk glands, and whip around. This can be overcome to some degree, but they still seldom turn out to grow into ones I will hand to a kid.

Last edited:
Seems like the calm ones just hatch out that way. You can tell from the first time you pick them up, out of the egg container.

Abbott's Okeetee?

I've seen some sites listing Abbott's Okeetee as "a.k.a. Extreme Okeetee". Is this true? Is an Abbott's Okeetee necessarily an "extreme"? But then is it also true that not all "extremes" are necessarily "Abbott's?"

If a breeder tells you they have Abbott's Okeetees, how do you know they really are?

Back