• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

differences among morphs

Thoth

the n00biest n00b
Other than the obvious color/pattern differences, are there any significant differences between morphs (excluding hybrids and such)? Do any tend to live longer? Do any get bigger? Are any of them more aggressive/less docile? Are any of them more susceptible to disease?

For example, I've read that some of the older generations of bloodreds can be pretty difficult to feed at first, and that blizzards can be grumpy li'l buggers.

From my experience a well cared for morph does just as well as any "normal" corn. As for the bloodred feeding problem, they were out-crossed and this has been eliminated. And I've never heard of the blizzards being grumpy. Any corn is just as likely to be as grumpy as the next. 99% of corns are mild-mannered, sure there are the occasionaly spawn of satan, but I don't think you can chalk it up to what morph they are.

Generally I think what you'll find is that the newer morphs will tend to be a less 'stable' animal. This is probably because breeders will be more likely to breed a less healthy new morph than a less healthy older one, because they need the genes. However, as the morph grows in number and popularity, the breeders can then focus on creating a more solid stock rather than reproducing as many as possible.

Another factor could be that the genes that cause the color mutations could also account for a minor complication. After all, the different morphs are mutations, and most wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. The color mutation is what's seen and what many hope is the only mutation, but the reality is that it is very possible that not feeding was genetically connected to the original bloodred coloration.

Other factors may include enviornmental and chemical reactions amoung color mutations. This could be like how people with more melanin in the skin tan easily and rarely burn. Take away most of the melanin, like in the classic caucassian (sp?), and they get sunburn more easily.

Anyways, I could go on further, but a post can only be so long without boring people and being completely wrong on some points. ;) The truth is that while some differences might be obverserved amoung different morphs, it really is hard to make a generalization like that. Granted, if you have a grumpy blizzard, you might be able to account it to it's morph, it isn't nearly always the case.

Hope this helps, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Tula_Montage said:
Sunkissed's tend to be the devils spawn. Even into adulthood. I wouldn't know though, I don't own any.
I have two Sunkissed, one is grumpy and the other is pure evil. :grin01:

Fizzlefry22 said:
I have two Sunkissed, one is grumpy and the other is pure evil. :grin01:
I have one sunkissed boy and he is a sweet as can be... even his children *weg* are very calm compared to our evil hybrids this year. Darn rootbeers have each bitten me at least twenty times or more since they hatched.

I think the grumpiness in any snake comes from more factors then just genetics though. The stress of a new environment (being shipped over night cross country in some cases) can make a snake feel insecure and become defensive. An older snake that was never handled much would be more likely to strike/hiss/fling musk then one that was held on a daily basis - though there are exceptions.

Jenn

Back