• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Digital Camera for Herp Photography

fyrefairy

I've been using a 35 mm all manual camera for ages because I like making my own prints, but I don't have a macro lens and can't get very good pics of my corns. Rather than buying yet another lens for my film camera, I think I'm ready to invest in a digital one. Do any of you use either of these to take pics of your snakes? If not, why not? Is there something in the same price range ($300-400 shipped) that you'd suggest?

Canon PowerShot S500 5-megapixel (3x optical, 4.1x digital zoom)

Canon A85 PowerShot 4.0-megapixel (3x optical, 3.6x digital zoom)

Thanks!
Karen

kodak dx6490

I use the kodak dx6490. It has 10x optical zoom and a great macro setting. We have taken some incredible close up shots with it. It is a 4.0 megapixel.

I also have a Kodak DX6490. I believe it is cheaper than the ones you listed, and does have a pretty good macro feature and (as mentioned already) a 10X optical zoom. I personally have been happy with it.

The only thing that I have any problem with is the lighting. I always have to use additional lighting, unless I am outside. This may be the same with other cameras, too, however.

Here's some example pics:
eclipse.jpg

skidmark-5-22-04c.jpg

Kendall-5-9-04d-LR.jpg

sienna-4-15-05b.jpg

sprout-3-6-05a-head.jpg

And a non-snake picture for fun:
100_2384.JPG

Well, I was wrong about the price. It is around the same price as what you were looking at already. Mine was a gift and I didn't realize QUITE how much was spent on me!

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 that I'm happy with. The features that attracted me to it are compact size, 30 fps Quicktime video at 640x480, speed (from shot to shot), controls that make sense to me, some manual control, and quality of photos, including macro shots. It's only a 3.2 megapixel, which may or may not be enough for you. Keep in mind that there is usually a trade-off between speed and number of megapixels. Most of the 5 and 6 megapixel cameras are slower than a quality 3.2 or even 4 megapixel. Of course I have to wait sometimes before I can take the next picture, but usually not very long. 3.2 gives you an image that's 2048x1536, to give you an idea.

Check out a review at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03102801nikoncp3700.asp Check out the list of features. Keep in mind it is less than $300 (about $225 maybe) including a rechargeable battery and charger, and it uses the newest type of memory (SD.) Go ahead and get plenty of memory for whatever you get (512 or at least 256.)

fyrefairy, there are a lot of good cameras out there that would be great for snake macro shots, but there are also a lot of excellent cameras that have really poor macro features. My suggestion to you is to do a search on cameras strictly using a search for macro features. Write down the ones that are said to have good macros then go to a store - something like Best Buy - that has many cameras on display that you can actually hold and fool with and using the macro feature, check to see which one allows you to get close and clear. You don't need to actually take a picture but hold the camera so that it is pointing at one of the "cards" in front of the cameras and push the button half way and this will bring it into focus. Then you can see how close and how clear it looks.

For on-line digital camera reviews, this is a good site and this one tells you which camera is best for different uses like macro, sports, scenery, etc. and it gives reviews with pros and cons of all cameras.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

Another site for reviews is this one .......
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Best of luck with finding the right one for you.

Prepare yourself for a bombardment of pictures!

I've got a lowly Olympus C-750 with a 10x zoom (optical & digital) 4mp that I love.

Our very first digital camera was an Olympus and ever since, I've been in love with the quality of the pictures with simplicity for not a lot of money.

I used both Steve's site and the dpreview to go through reviews and I finally settled on the Olympus, but it was neck and neck with a Nikon for the longest time. But finally, price won out.

The only complaint I have about my camera is that I wish it took pictures the instant you pressed the button after focusing in on your subject. A lot of the time, it will refocus after you've pushed the "take picture" button and end up giving you a shoddy picture. You have to hold your mouth just right for it to take the picture you want it to, sometimes.

Sample pics:

Ozzy3.jpg

3rdWhiteMeat2.jpg

MexicanPrimrose.jpg

Tulips.JPG

SnowyHorse.JPG

BedroomView.jpg

LunaMoth4Crop.jpg

ButterflyCrop.jpg

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4100. It would be in the lower end of your budget range. 3 x optical zoom, 4 mega-pixel and macro is good to about 4cm .... which is not bad in that price range.

Sample pic ...

5cawlz

Back