• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

direct sunlight question

Had1nowwant1

My okeetee's glass cage is about 8 feet from a window(i guess you could call if a double window). There are blinds on the window. If i open the blind and the sun shines on the cage and in my room will it cause the cage to heat up to much. I would like to leave the blinds open but it i cant its ok.

There is a possibility that it could get too warm. You may try it when the sun is directly on it and use a thermometer and see if the temp rises too much.

Um . . .

My experience with fish in an aquarium is that direct sunlight can raise the temp high enough to kill the fish. I had a friend who put her tank in front of the window and went through a lot of fish before she asked me what was wrong . . . I went over and the temp in the tank was like 100 degrees! No kidding. I told her to move it and ta-da! problem solved.

I think DAND is right, you need to see what the temps get up to in the tank with the blinds open throughout the day. I think you should not do this experiment with the snake in the tank, just in case it gets really hot in there (it could)!!! You do NOT want to take that risk. A lot is going to depend on if it is direct sunlight (say from the west in the evening) or if it is indirect (say from the north), so keep in mind that as the seasons change the amount of light that hits the tank could too.

My BEST advice would be to put the tank somewhere that it won't get light from the window! It might be a hassle to rearrange, but in the long run you could have the best of both worlds - sunlight in your room and a healthy snake. :)

Well i cant move the snakes cage. Would the light really affect the cage from that far away from the window(8ft)? Also, is it only direct sunlight when the sun is facing the window, instead of shining on the other side of the house?

When the sun shines in thru the window and hits the viv, that is direct sunlight. This is undesirable for lengthy periods of time as the glass kind of acts like a magnifier, quickly heating up everything inside the viv. If you can't movve the viv, try and put something to block the direct rays. :cheers:

Back