• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY Hatchling Rack on a Budget! (Photos)

jovamabob

So i decided to build my own snake rack for the 8 hatchlings im taking on - but i was on a budget! I spent less than £60 in total!

I first took a set of shelves i happened to be given by someone, though you can buy these for around £15 in charity shops or second hand furniture sales - the snake doesn't care who it used to belong too! Mine had an open back for easy wiring, had 6 shelves, measured 58 inches high with a shelf height of 9.5", depth of 7" and width of 23.5" :)

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

I decided to use heat cable for its versatility so i placed down aluminium tape down in lines to protect the wood and reflect the heat up. I bought 10m ofthis on ebay for £4. I then placed the heat cable looped on top, fixing it in place with more aluminium tape (Don't let the wire cross itself!). I bought 7m for £16 through swell reptiles and it covered half of my shelves using 3 loops or 5 shelves using 2 loops. You could buy garden propagation cable cheaper though if you hunted around. I used a thermostat to control it that cost £19 via swell reptiles, though you could find one cheaper on ebay most likely. I bought a lucky reptile thermometer with two probes for £6 off ebay to measure temperatures with (currently around 31c in the hot end).

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo7_1280.jpg

I then prepared the actual RUBS. I went to poundland and bought nine 7 litre Rubs (for £9 naturally). I then used a screw to make air holes, lined it with kitchen roll substrate and added the accessories.

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo5_1280.jpg

I used stainless steel bowls i got in poundland's home section which were 4 for £1 or if you wanted something heavier you can get 2 ceramic ramekin bowls for £1 there which don't look out of place. I checked them with my older snake to check they'd be big enough :)

tumblr_md6tt7S0SL1ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

I got 4 baby bowls with lids for £1 and cut a doorway into them for using as a hide. (It still needs sanding down here). Since it is not fully opaque i filled it with shredded kitchen roll to hide in and since they have a plastic base i can dampen this during shedding or add any moss.

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo3_1280.jpg

I then added my tubs. They hang off the back sightly, but i dont mind this since it helps keep the cool side cool. I bought three tubs that were not as tall as the others since the lids could overlap slightly and i can fit more on the shelves. I also added once 'dud' tub that has a tight fitting hole cut in and the probes for the thermostat/thermometer placed in. This gives me a good reading of what the temperature inside is like without having to risk snake escapes! If you want you can purchase individual thermometers for each tub for around £2 on ebay. I chose not too.

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo5_1280.jpg

And there we have it! Done! It fits nicely into my living room, since i only used half my shelves so the bottom 3 are good for storage. I have quite a bit of paint left from painting a vivarium i may give it a nice coat of paint later on and do some stenciling work on the side, just to give it a face lift.

tumblr_md8rio2TuM1ry9h3jo2_1280.jpg

Nicely done! I like it! Thanks for giving all the photos for reference as well. It's very helpful for us newbies who are venturing out on DIY to get visual examples of what others have done. (I'm starting very, very basic with making a single 16-quart Sterilite tub into a viv for my hatching, but I can see expanding to multiples some day!)

I'm going to be adding more baby corns soon and was looking at rack options. Thanks for this great idea!

Back