• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

do albino corns

shaunb

do albino corns live the same lengh of time as a normal corn or do they have a shorter life span this might sound like a silly question but i don't know a lot about them so just humour me k. thnx from shaun

I understand your question, and may not be an expert. I know in mammals albinism can be a problem. With snakes, I'm not sure but I do UV lighting is not a good idea for them.

I have a 16 year old Amel who's still going strong, so from personal experience I'd say there's no difference.

Some morphs can appear to be be more "fragile" when they first appear e.g. Bloodreds, which were reputedly reluctant to feed and slow growing when they first became available. New morphs are likely to be derived from quite a small gene pool. However, these get beefed up over successive generations as more bloodlines are used.

As Amels are one of the longest established morphs, I'd say they must be pretty much bombproof by now.

im asking this question

i am asking this question as i am getting my first hatchling on friday, it is a toss up between this lovely albino and a candy cane and can't decide.

i am asking this question as i am getting my first hatchling on friday, it is a toss up between this lovely albino and a candy cane and can't decide.

You may be confused as an albino is an amelanistic corn snake (lacks black pigment) a candy cane is a form of amel or albino. Here is my amel/red albino. He is an 03' and weighs a kilo.

Attachments

• Picture 1087.jpg
    Picture 1087.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 57
so they are

So there both amels then but i still do not now which one to get i am going by what the shop is telling me, as like i said i don't know an awfull lot about them i'm still learning and reading a lot.

are u

are u saying they are the same sort of snake and it makes no difference in which one i get.

Do you have other choices. I would go with what you like the most in color or if you want a particular sex. It's not common this would be your only corn snake if you are ever thinking of breeding that should play a role in your decision. Clear as mud now, lol.

Albino is a really old term for an amelanistic corn. So yes albino and candy cane are both amelanistic, candy cane should look like a candy cane, a regular amel could look like mine, but there are lots of variations of amel.

k thnx

Thank u for the info it has been very useful, i do like the colours on the candy cane it is a pretty snake, the shop i am going to is small they have a lot of boas and striped king snakes and pythons but only a few corn hatchlings, black and white, grey and brown and the two white ones and the candy cane so not a lot of variety really.

That's quite a lot of variety for the UK (at least, I've never seen a candy cane sitting in a pet shop).

Could I suggest that you ask them about the breeding programme and make sure you are getting what you're paying for.. Many pet stores will give a pretty amel an exotic sounding name in order to double the price of it. Mine was labelled as a reverse okeetee (which I knew was wrong) and when I contacted the breeder many years later, he confirmed it was actually a creamsicle. I digress.

It's pot luck really, go for one you know is a great feeder - very important if you're buying a hatchling as your first snake - and looks the most attractive to you :)

Back