• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do I have to brumate

Saml8

Do you have to brumate your corn snake if you don't plan on breeding her? She's 9 to 12 months old.

Thanks!

No, I don't even brumate my breeders anymore. However, if you like a vacation from cleaning the vivarium, and saving the cost of rodents, you can brumate. But then you won't have the enjoyment of handling her for a few months.

I have another question off topic. When I got my snake in the middle of April this year the store said she was three months old. As I'm learning more about corn snakes it seems like most babies are born between late summer into fall. Does this mean she was probably older than what the store said? Or, are some babies born towards the end of the year/beginning of the year?

It all depends upon who provided the information to the store, and how accurate it was. It is possible to have a late born hatchling from a second clutch. It is not the usual scenario, and I'd look at the age skeptically, not that it matters much. Some breeders feed hatchlings and young snakes a maintenance diet, just enough to keep them growing at a slow pace. It makes economic sense to them if they feed one pinky every 10 days and the corn subsists and makes slow growth. I've bought 2 year olds that weren't up to the size of my own yearlings, but they still matured properly.

Back