• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do Snakes NEED to mate?

I'm just guessing on this (being a mere human and all) that in the wild they would "need" to mate to pass their genes along and keep their line going. It's just snake nature. However in captivity, I guess it would be up to the handler if they want to mate their snakes or not. As long as the snake is getting fed properly and has room to excercize they would be content.

Nothing detrimental to its health will happen, if that is what your asking. Its not like NEEDING to milk cows...

agreed with PnyKlr it's not a major health issue, as long as the rest of health issues are dealt with and kept up to par you should be alright if you choose not to breed.

Agreed. I was never planning on breeding Spur or lonly-only corn. Only because I can't find the time now to see that I would have in the future to breed snakes. So I would rather wait till I had the time, money, and customers to buy from me. Supply and Demand...lol. But no seriously You really don't have to in my mind.

No, snakes don't HAVE to be mated.
This is a good question though, as some animals - unneutered female ferrets spring to mind - actually die if they come in to heat and cannot breed. I do like an interesting question. :)

What a relief!

I have something in writing now to show my kids that snakes DO NOT have to breed. Our 8 month old corn snake never sleeps anymore. I would think he's still a little too young to even be thinking about a female and has not stopped eating but...he's out and about when the kids get home from school; 2pm, stays out all through the night and when I wake up in the morning at 6am, he's still cruising. Maybe he sleeps when we all go to work and school?? I don't know but my 3 kids are begging me to get a female cornsnake, hoping maybe that will calm him down. My kids are 8, 10 & 11, don't even know why their worried. Maybe it's just an excuse to get another snake, but considering we have 3 male cornsnakes already, that lone female will surely turn the house out!! LOL.

I think a lot of them just get active as the weather warms, the light stays longer and spring comes. In nature it's when they would be coming out of hibernation and getting more food, so I think it's somewhat hard-wired in for them to become more active. My male bred this year but he's still active now even though he's back to eating. As far as having to breed: I won't be breeding my female again next year. I want her to have another year to recover from this breeding. I think too much breeding of females is actually detrimental to them.

Back