• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

do snakes sense fear ?

baldy pete

this might sound like a daft question, like the title says do snakes sense fear, a bit like dogs do, when some1 is scared of dags the dog will supposedly sense the fear from the person,
another way of putting it - i myself am not scared of snakes within reason,but my good lady is, as soon as she plucks up the courage to hold the snake,the snake starts to move a lot faster over her hands as if it senses that they are tense about holding them.

Well I personally think that a snake can sense if a person is nervous around them - but if your lady doesn't normally hold the snake, then he prob isn't used to her scent. When someone other then me holds my snakes, they are obviously a bit more stressed, and often try to get back to me.
Just my opinion! :)

????

Im confused, so Im answering the question in the title...
Snakes can get scared, and usually do. It just doesn't really show like in humans. When the curl up into a ball and start vibrating there tail, they are usually scared.

I think I answered your question but if not just ignore me... dust in the wind... :D

Initially, certain animals were thought to 'sense' fear (along with other emotions). Now, research has 'proven' that they SMELL (or taste in a snakes case) fear, via an invisible scent that your body puts off called Pheromones.

We emit pheromones for a wide variety of functions; fear, relaxation, sexual desire, etc. Each one would taste differently to your snake, but fear is a universal pheromone that a snake will register.

Now, this doesn't mean that your snake will be aggressive or freak out if you're afraid but picture this scenario:

Lets say you have the ability to tell when something is afraid and you're not a particularly intelligent being. You're being held by this 'thing' that's 50-100x your size, and this MASSIVE 'thing' is emitting a scent that tells you that IT'S afraid of something.

Now, if something 50-100x your size was scared crapless, might you be a little freaked out/scared that something in the vicinity could potentially squash you like a bug?

In an animal-eat-animal world, on the level of prey and predator, I sure as heck know that 'I' would be a little unnerved if something that big was scared. Especially since my/your level of intelligence isn't high enough for me or you to reason that this huge 'thing' might actually be afraid of little ol' YOU.

Back