• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do we really have to change their water every day?

JjSnake

I read in this book that we should change their water and clean their water bowl daily. Is that true? Do most people do this?

How often do you recommend changing the water and cleaning the bowl?

Thanks! Happy New Year! :)

Kathy Love and Don Soderberg books are good books to have. Look them up and they will answer most of these questions.

Three days.

I change the water about 2 times a week, wiping the bowls out with a paper towel when I dump the water out. It isn't a thorough cleaning, but so far no slime or algae at all.

I clean mine once a week as well, I just dump the water, do a quick scrub with some dish soap, rinse, and refill. I figure, I leave a glass of water out for myself to take some medicine at night, and the water is tasting fine for a week, I am fine drinking it, they are too.

On feeding day.... Once per week....spot clean daily....complete cleaning. Once per month....unless your nose tells ya different....if it smells dirty...it probably is!

I agree get the books if you haven't they are well worth the money http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...0706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325474275&sr=8-1

Honestly I give mine fresh water when I feed them, which is once a week. All mine are perfectly healthy and happy.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

When I was choosing out a book about corn snakes, the above-linked book was my first choice, but unfortunately the Kindle ebook version wasn't available at the time! They said it would be available in early 2012! (I try to avoid paper books whenever I can). So I ended up going with the ebook version of this one instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...8805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325488944&sr=8-1
It's called: "Corn and Rat Snakes: Complete Herp Care" by Philip Purser.

Since I've already read that book about cornsnakes, do you think it'd still be beneficial if I read the Kathy&Bill Love books on the subject? Or will most of the stuff be repetitive?

Yea I would say its still beneficial to get their book. I got my son Don Soderburgs (sp) book on corn snakes for him to research before getting a corn snake. Its informative!

Might have to change more depending on if you use filtered water or not. Mine get slimey feeling if they go longer than 3 days or so, when I use filtered. When I don't, it can go a few more days. I suppose I'm trusting the lack of crypto in my drinking water, but I figure if it's present, there are too many vectors present already and using filtered is like closing the viv door after the snake's escaped.

Couple of changes per week for mine - or as soon as they poop in it (yes Barney, I'm looking at *you*, you serial poop offender!)

I soak our reptile bowls in hot water & scrub them thoroughly every 3 days. It keeps the bowls clean, and I know Apollo appreciates it, as he drinks from it right away. Basil and Aaliyah...not so appreciative. :D

Once a week... but I check more often for dry bowls.
It is getting really dry here in the winter.

I dump them, rinse them with vinegar, wipe them out and fill them.

With 150 snakes, I don't think I could do it every couple of days!

Once a week... but I check more often for dry bowls.
It is getting really dry here in the winter.

I dump them, rinse them with vinegar, wipe them out and fill them.

With 150 snakes, I don't think I could do it every couple of days!

Oh yea, Utah is very dry in the winter! We are in New Mexico and we get the same kind of winters. I only have 8 corn snakes so its easier for me to do every 2 days. But I have found that plastic or glass water bowls seem to hold the water longer without much evaporation than say the reptile rock like bowls!

Yes- even the huge rock bowls dry out in a matter of days! I get big dog bowls from the dollar store and those seem to work well.

Oh... and serial water poopers get two water bowls because I'm paranoid I won't catch it fast enough and they will be all thirsty and sad.

It would depend on the size of your collection. It would be physically impossible to change every water bowl every day, or even every 3 days, in some of the big breeder's operations, and apparently their snakes are healthy enough to not be questioned.

Every day to every week or somewhere in between wouldn't be bad.

D80

Thanks everyone!! This is a great forum.

I just ordered that book you guys recommended. I had to do a "preorder" for the kindle version, because it's not supposed to be released until tomorrow. Maybe they just finished converting it to ebook format?

I guess I'll plan on changing the water about once a week, or more often if I see it gets dirty. I only have 1 little hatchling, so I'm guessing (hoping!) he won't be too messy.

My little guy is still hiding a lot in his little cave thing, but it's only his 3rd day here. I can't wait till I can start touching him! :)

I change waters once a week. I spray the inside of the bowl with Chlorhexidine let it sit a minute and wipe it out.

Back