• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do you think a 20 gal is too big for a juvenile?

Quixotic

Knowledge Crusader
Hey all. I'm moving into an apartment next week so I decided to pick up a Visionarium (same dimensions as a 20 gal long aquarium) for the snake that's being delivered mid-January from SMR. He'll be a little over 5 months old, currently he's 17 inches long and 14 grams according to Don. Do you guys think he'll get lost in the hugeness if his viv is that size? I've heard that hatchlings don't really like big cages, but this snake is approaching juvenile age. Let me know what you think. :cheers:

Mine was about that size when she went into a 20 gal long and she is doing perfectly fine. No regurges, refusals, aggression, etc. I just made sure to put in plenty of hides and decorations to get rid of open space.

I think he'll be fine. Smaller cages make it easier for you more than the baby. A 5 month old will be growing like kudzu, that 30" tank will only be on the big side for another 5 months or so. Just keep parameters where they need to be, and consider using paper towels at first, so you can clearly see defecation, etc.

Agreed. As long as it's escape-proof for a snake that size, plenty of hides and ground cover should sort out any potential issues. As has been said, wide open spaces don't do them any favours, but it's easy enough to fill them up with snakey play equipment!

Mine is about the same age as yours and is in a 20 gallon long. He is doing good and eats good as well.

Back