• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DOES ANYONE TAKE THEIR SANKE OUTSIDE?

FARTICUS

I was curious to know if anyone here takes their snakes outside at all? i have a buddy who has a corn and a ball python, and he takes them outside pretty often, when its warm outside. he takes them (not at the same time) out to like the park, his office once in a while, to friends house etc... the ball sits nicely on his neck usually, and the corn he tends to just hold in his hand / arm.... mine is far too small for anything like that, but do you guys do anything like that?

I've taken mine out for outdoor photos, but other than that they stay indoors. You have to worry about escape, stress, predators like birds, cats, and dogs, and of course pesticides, foreign bacterias, or parasites.

If the letter carrier shows up and I 'm handling one, I will take it outside. She is so scared of them, but likes to see them! She can't get over the colors! I think she gets a kick out of being freaked out! Maybe she has issues, I dunno?

Wayne

If the letter carrier shows up and I 'm handling one, I will take it outside. She is so scared of them, but likes to see them! She can't get over the colors! I think she gets a kick out of being freaked out! Maybe she has issues, I dunno?

Wayne

lol, might be, my daughter begs me to scare her sometimes. weirdo.... she gets a kick out of it.

I like to take mine outside and walk down the street with them in my hand because I think they enjoy natural light.

I take mine outside, but only in controlled circumstances.
And I never take them for walks down the street, hang them around my neck and go shopping, take them to work, or visit friends houses with them...
I think taking them out for a private play time is OK... Exhibitionism is a tad twee and crass..

We rarely take ours outdoors. Never the babies, and only the adults that have shown very little "flight instinct". I try to keep it to under 20 minutes, and only if the air temperatures are appropriate (actually going by what the thermometer reads, not "it feels warm enough").

sounds reasonable. i would think that the outdoors would be stressful to it. especially in a car, train, street sounds, etc.

Mine visit outside a couple of times a month. Usually the backyard for photoshoots ect. However I do some education with mine(local fair, and community events). I always make sure they are covered until I need them and most of the time I have a booth or a controlled area.

Mine only go out for photo sessions in the front yard (front, not back, because the back is full of dog poo!). Even then, it's never more than 15 minutes to get plenty of good shots before they go back inside.

The only time I take snakes off my property is when they need to go to the vet (an hour and a half out of town) for some reason or another... If we have to make stops, the snake will often go in with me--tucked away in a pillowcase/bag/tub-in-bag... Though, for Petsmart/Petco stops, the snake in question will often be allowed to stay out and in my hands with the choice of hiding away in my coat sleeve.

The only reptile with different rules is the bearded dragon... He goes outside for any amount of time (always supervised) for natural UVB when it's warm/sunny enough. When he goes to the vet, he only leaves the car in his tub, and only if it's absolutely necessary.

If any of that makes sense, of course. I got no sleep last night and now I'm a bit hyped up on sugary ice cream... =3

I didn't start taking my snakes out till they were at least 20G plus and when I did I never put them down on something that they could get away from (So if I put them on a statue to photograph them I was never more than 12 inches away) Now that they're older I do let the big one (Almost 400g) out on the grass and deck to troll around, but I won't let the 99g one on the ground by himself yet. You'd be amazed how they can weave underneath the grass and dissapear.

PS-What up with the caps?

i cant help the caps, i just like the big letters.... BIG LETTERS.... lol, i have to remember to tone it down in the forums....

We have taken a few of ours up to Matt's work when some of the employees asked to see them. I have a special carrier for our bigger adult snakes and a tub for traveling for our smaller guys. We had a birthday party for Matt's grandfather a couple of weekends ago and there were a TON of kids who wanted to see our boa so we brought him out for them all to see and touch(but we were already on our own property)and we let him down on the grass because they wanted to see in person how a snake moves. When the kids were done he went right back in the house.

My beardies are also the exception. They're out with me ALL the time and I do meand ALL the time. I've even snuck him into stores since he rides in a doggy purse and nobody has noticed. There was one local store I took him into that saw him and became so enthralled with him that they asked me to take him out and they played with him and held him while I shopped. Very cool people!

i take mine quite regularly, if i go for a walk i'll take one of them with me no one seems to be stressed out about it not to mention my vet suggested it would be a good idea, as long the temps were good

The first time I attended the our local "Faerie Festival", I parked behind a young couple that were attending the festival with their snakes. The guy wore his pet ball python ( And very little else! Man! What a bod! ) and his girlfriend wore her pet corn snake. They were there for hours and it was really funny watching people's reaction to them. They either screamed and gave them a wide berth or were attracted them in droves. Of course all the kids were fascinated!

The only thing I would not like about this is that instead of being there to enjoy the show, YOU BECOME the show! Which is fine if you're okay with that.

Devon

Back