• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does Gender Matter?

Malaika

Sonno Eterno
Hello all!

I don't know my 2-month-old amel corn's gender and, quite frankly, it's starting to drive me mad! I didn't think it would bother me, but my infamous curiosity is overwhelming me after only a month. -_-;

I was just wondering...are there any differences between the genders? You know, behaviour, size, health issues, etc?

If there aren't any, I'm not going to try to find someone who can sex Isha for me. I don't know if my herp vet can(can they usually?) and frankly I doubt that there are any herp experts in my area, seeing as I live in the middle of scenic nowhere. I know that I'm not going to breed Isha. But are there any benefits (besides satiating insane curiosity) to knowing your snake's gender?

Thanks, guys!

PS-I posted this pic of Isha on the off chance that one of you can take a look at a corn and go 'AHA! That's a FE/MALE!'. :grin01:

Attachments

• Isha tail.jpg
    Isha tail.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 70
You really can't tell from size or behavior if a snake is male or female - you can try and sex by the way the tail looks but its really not that reliable! You should check out Kathy Love's website Cornutopia - there is a video there which shows you how to sex a corn by "popping" - or you can find someone else to do it!
Good Luck :)

Popping

Eriathiel said:
You should check out Kathy Love's website Cornutopia - there is a video there which shows you how to sex a corn by "popping" - or you can find someone else to do it!

Is there any way to harm a corn while popping? I think I'm too chicken to go do it for fear of harming my little one!

No not really as long as you are gentle! Its better to do on young snakes too I think. I mean I've seen some people try and basically snap the snake in half when they are doing it - of course thats painful! Just make sure you roll your thumb - :) Did you watch the video?

Females can lay slugs (infertile) eggs even when they have never been bred.

Males will sometimes stop feeding (for weeks) in the spring and pace a lot, looking for a mate. (Or maybe a way to get out to go look for a mate.)

Nanci

Eriathiel said:
You should check out Kathy Love's website Cornutopia - there is a video there which shows you how to sex a corn by "popping" - or you can find someone else to do it!

I'm glad I was browsing - that was really interesting, but kinda gross, too lol :p

Where in the USA are you? It's a big place ya know! If you were close by, I'd be happy to do that for you.

Malaika said:
PS-I posted this pic of Isha on the off chance that one of you can take a look at a corn and go 'AHA! That's a FE/MALE!'.
Post a picture of just the tail, including the cloaca, preferably from the bottom. We can at least give you an educated guess, based on the way in which the tail tapers differently between the sexes.

Back