• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does my corn have mites?! black dot in water

So ive been away to university for the past month although i come back ever 2 weeks to see familyy and what not. My dad feeds him every weekk and changes the water although he knows nothing else about corn snake care. When im home i feed, change/clean water bowl and clean the cage. Today when i got home i noticed 1 small black dot in the water bowl, thinking it was mites i gave it a good look at and it seemed to have legs. I handled my corn and didnt see anything on him, so after about 10 minutes of handling i fed him and put him back. Although i will be gone another 2 weeks so i want to know if he has mites now otherwise it will be at least two weeks till i can treat him =\ i may come home next week just to ensure hes ok. Any ideas? I use paper towel for a substrate btw. and my high temps are at 30 degrees C. Any helps is appreciated! Thanks

From what I can see from here in Texas, I am not sure. Do you see any black dots on the paper towels? If the answer is no, I would guess you do not have mites. If the answer is yes, I would say you have mites.

I would look at him really, really closely under his chin, around his eyes, around his mouth.

Lots of things make black specks in the water bowl, though. I get tiny flying insects here that look like black dots. And flecks of cork bark. One time I became convinced that one of my snakes had mites (although I'd had him for years!!) and treated EVERYONE, three times, including the racks, carpet, removing all their aspen and going to paper towels. I took pics of the dot, though, and it was just corkbark...

Back