• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does red bulb have to be infared?

Had1nowwant1

Today i went to Home Depot and got red bulbs to view my snakes at night. The bulbs aren't infared. Does it matter? Can the snakes not see only the infared red bulbs?I am only going to turn these lights on when i am looking at the snake in the cage, i wont be leaving the red lights on all night.

You will find a very helpful post under 'Miscellaneous Corn snake Discussions'
Search for my post 'Black Light'. I actually asked the same question you did. If you have a hard time finding it, just type in 'Black Light' under Search forums.

any red bulb is good you dont need a night light to keep it warm there are other methods that might work for you .

i dont want to use the light for heat. I want to use it to just turn it on to see the snake but not disturb the snakes nocturnal behavior. I have a UTH for heat.

You can just leave all the lights off except one dim light and you can watch him. They do come out on full moon night as long as the room is dimley lit he will come out. Any red bulb will do fine but you have to sit in the dark.

you probably noticed from that post i made that a red light is bes tfor viewing at night, however there are 3 types of red light. there is the infrared ceramic heat emitter (these are rather expensive) which gives off heat, and there are infrared lights which ive read do not give off light at all and cannot be seen by the human eye. and then there is the simple red light buld (often called a party bulb). i currently use a red light bulb (bought just at a local hardware store for $4) for night viewing, it is much easier for the eyes to adjust to rather than turning on a main white light which is definatley much brighter. basically what u need is dim light as mentioned in the previous post . hope this answers your question :)

i know the ones they sell at pet stores(i think there exo terra) the red and blue ones dont disturb, but i dont know about home depot.

To sum up:

1- If the light is infrared, it will not illuminate the room. (Infrared is beyond the range of human vision.) Unless you are using night-vision equipment, IR will do you no good.

2- You aren't going to find a light source that illuminates the room for you but leaves it "dark" to the snakes.

3- Snakes are not scared of light, but corns are more likely to feel secure (and come out and be active) when the room isn't lit up like it's daytime. The idea is to illuminate the room enough that you can see them, but not any more than necessary. If you use a dim light--whether it is red, or green, or white, or whatever color--you can observe them in a dimly-lit room without really disturbing them. Remember that your eyes will adjust after a few minutes and you'll be able to see pretty clearly in what at first seems like a "dark" room.

Enjoy. :)

Back