• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does sex effect temperament and color

Bustacapp

Does the sex of a cornsnake effect the temperament or personality of a snake and or color. and is it possible to buy a really pretty hatchling only to have it grow up and lose all its color ?

Bustacapp said:
Does the sex of a cornsnake effect the temperament or personality of a snake and or color. and
Temperament - generally no, though males 'can' become feisty or grumpy during the Spring breeding season. (I haven't had that happen personally.)

In some morphs, there appears to be some sexual dimorphism in coloration (most notably Hypo Lavenders). As a general rule, no.

is it possible to buy a really pretty hatchling only to have it grow up and lose all its color ?
Yes, and the opposite is also just as true.

D80

Make sure you know what any adult is going to look like- they more often than not change quite a bit from their hatchling color. I definitely wouldn't call it "losing color," though.

Nanci

Sometimes markings that appear really clear on a hatchling, will become less well defined as the snake grows on.

I bought a beautiful Amel Stripe a few years ago. As a hatchling, she was a vivid orange with lovely, clear, deep red stripes. By the time she was three, the orange had dulled, the red lightened and you could barely see any markings on her at all. Unless you caught her in the right light, she looked a uniform, solid dark orange. I hadn't actually intended to buy a Vanishing Stripe!

Many become more melanistic: that is they gain some black wash as they age. This can muddy the waters so to speak. My amel also gained more white as he aged so he lost some of the brightness of the red and he also didn't have as sharp a border. He was still pretty though!

Back