• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

doesnt wanna eat a frog

uchi

hey guys, thought id ask on here and see what you say. several months ago i was at the pet store and decided to get somehting new for my corn instead of the boring old mice. so i talked to the stores reptile expert and decided id try a smaller frog, something the size of a pinky rat or so. made sure it was safe for the snake, they said some frogs were poisonous, took it home, dropped it into his tank and waited. he came over, looked over it and left it alone. so i reached in and dangled it infront of him and nothing, put the frog right infront of him aswell and still nothing, he wouldnt touch it. i found that weird because he eats anything i put in there for him.

someone had mentioned that perhaps he didnt like the way it smelled an didnt want to eat it. anyone have any ideas on this?

oh and it was a live frog, generally i try to feed him dead food, i find hes much calmer after not having to kill anything but once in a while ill throw in a live meal for him.

I prefer to stick with mice, I've never tried frogs, but amphibians and fish are generally reserved for semi-aquatic snakes like Garter snakes. Corn snakes seem to prefer mice, and perhaps anoles. The problem with feeding anoles is that they have less nutritional value than mice and snakes will sometimes refuse to eat mice after having tasted anole, or atleast are very hard to get back on mice.

WHAT??? You tried to feed your snake a frog because YOU considered mice boring...??? I may be way off but what else do you feed your snake when your bored? :sidestep: Are you throwing him a "live" one for excitement? Perhaps I just don't understand the thrill of it. Are you keeping the health and safety of your snake in mind when you do these things for YOUR enjoyment? Did the "reptile expert" really suggest you feed your captive breed animal a frog? I realize corns are opportunistic feeders in their natural habitat but (common) stick with the mice man!

Perhaps others here practice "experimentation feedings" I am wondering if I am missing something?

I'll bet your snake doesn't find mice boring. For variety, offer a f/t rat or hamster of appropriate size, but it doesn't make much sense to offer up frogs to captive corns. It's cheaper and easier to stick to the mouse diet, and your corn will probably be none the wiser.

i was going by what the guy had said thats really it. i really dont get the same thrill out of watching him kill that im sure others do and actually for the longest time he didnt eat anything live, it was all dead mice and rats but i do occasionally throw in a live one. i had assumed that eating something new might have been a welcome change for him but apparantly he didnt want it.

not boring in the sense that they bore me but boring in the sense that i wanted him to experience something different to see how he'd take to it, no harm intended of course. and thats all hes ever been fed thats been different from his regular diet of mice and rats.

but like i said, no ral thrill from me of feeding him live and watching him kill, i make sure he does kill it and eats it before i leave him alone just to be safe.

and what are anoles?

Anoles are small lizards commonly taken by Corns in the wild.

Dunno where your reptile "expert" was getting his info from .... frogs are not something a Corn will normally eat. If it was starving and desparate in the wild then maybe .... but well fed captive used to mice? Not likely .....

good information to know then. i rad somewhere that you can get a sausage type link to feed snakes, supposed to contain all the nutrients they need, anyone have any info on that?

the only thing i can see not working with one of those is that he might not want to eat it because of its size

Wow. Um last I heard Frogs, Snails, Slugs. Anything in that category of "slimeys" to me were Bad for corns. Mainly cause they can carry parasites and so on. I wouldn't feed a corn a frog in my life.

Pet store employees usually know very little, or worse are misinformed. A garter would love a frog, but not a corn. The biggest problem is that even the pet shop frogs probably have parasites. The mass produced animal trade is like that. For excitement for both you and your snake, try wiggling the mouse with tongs. They love that! They get all predator on ya! Yesterday one of my corns try to eat a mouse by the tail, then I wiggled it a little more so she would grab it at from the front, and she wrapped around the whole thing and rattled her tail at me. We had fun together.

First corn i ever seen was in my backyard in Ga. It was right before dark after a slight rain and it had a big ol toad in its mouth. I don't believe it would hurt your corn to eat a frog its just not real practical. They do eat frogs in the wild or i know of at least one that does. I believe i read on here once that a guy feed his chicken necks or something like that. :shrugs:

yeah ive dangeled the food by him a few times and he grabs it pretty fast and coils right up on it, makes him feel like a badass i suppose. lol. i do generally feed him dead foo though, i find that hes much calmer if he doesnt have to hunt and actually after feeding him dead for a while he wont even contrict the food but rather just get his mouth over it and eat. one thing i dont like is that a few times ive seen him eat the wrong end first, not good for their insides because of the nails on the rodent paws can scratch up their insides.

also the reptile experts, there was a girl who was a self proclaimed reptile expert at a smaller store i stopped going to after a while and she wsa probing a guys snake and pushed too hard i guess, snake ended up bleeding to death

Back