• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Doms, Co-doms, and Recessives

Twitch

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a site that lists the different morphs of cornsnake and whether they are dominant morphs, co-dominant, or recessive.

I've been reading a lot on ball python breeding as that is something I want to do when my babies get bigger and I am also interested in corn snake morphs. I know that albino in ball pythons is recessive, spider is co-dom, and wild type is dominant but what about corns?

What traits are dominant in them? What about patterns too? Stripes and the like. :shrugs:

Maybe when I have some extra cash around, I'll get the book as it looks awsome. It previews some of the pages and its defiantly going to be a good read once I get it.

Can someone at least tell me about Snow and Anerys. I have a Snow and an Anery (but I'm not sure if A or B because I have no clue about morphs). A little info on these morphs would help me out.

Most of the known mutations in corn snakes are simple recessives. There are a few exceptions, but those are best left until last. The two morphs you are currently interested in are some of the earliest recognized corn snake mutations. In corns, wild-type is dominant in every known mutation. Amelanism (aka albino, red albino) and anerythrism (aka black albino) are the most common simple recessive mutations. When both of these are homozygous in the same snake, they produce what is most commonly called a snow. Breeding your snow to your anery (assuming it is the more common anery A and not charcoal) will produce all anery offspring that are het for amelansim (aka het for snow). There is a good chance that your anery is also het for amel, which, when bred to your snow, would produce both anery and snow offspring (50:50). Getting the morph guide is a fantastic way to get all the known genetic information in one place. In the meantime, here is a list of the proven corn snake mutations (that I'm aware of):

Color morphs
amelanism
anerythrism A
charcoal
ashy/cinder (previously called Morph Z, anery C)
hypomelanism - hypo A, Sunkissed (some also consider this a pattern morph),lava, ultra and Christmas are 5 proven separate recessive genes that cause a type of hypomelanism
dilute (is sort of another type of hypomelanism)
lavender
caramel

Pattern morphs
bloodred/diffuse
motley and stripe (are alleles of each other, located at the same gene locus, motley pattern dominant over stripe pattern when both are present in same snake - one motley and one stripe gene) Cube is sort of a variant of stripe, exactly what it is is not known.
zigzag/aztec - exact genetics and inheritance is really not known but not caused by a single gene.

Ultra and amelanism are located at the same locus. When one of each gene is present in the same snake, the effect is co-dominant as both genes have an affect and the color is half-way between an amel and an ultra.

Back