• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do's n Dont's for building viv?

Fordie

Have done a search on this but didnt find the info i was looking for.
Just want to know what the major do's n dont's are for building your own viv.
I was thinking of building something around 3/4 feet in length, with 1.5/2 feet height and width. The front is going to be glass sliding doors (with lock) and the rest is to be wood.
Are there any woods (other than pine i guess) that should definately not be used, or any adhesives or nails screws etc not to use? Any locks not to use, also what heat source would suit this viv size best?
Have built some huge cages for rats, mice, rabbits etc before so i think my skills are up to the job, just thought id check for anything i havent thought of.
Thanks people :cheers:

I'm in the same "boat" ...sort of..
The use of pine I think...... would be fine if you coat it (seal it) with something. A clear wood finish like one that is use with furniture. Pine or ceder use in a raw state (fumes and sap) unseal is a no no. From my understanding along as every thing is dried and has no odor it should be fine. Basically, let if dry out for a few day be for your snake is put in.

Good Luck.

Hi, be careful of wood that has fumes, much like pine especially. You could always seal it though. Just be sure there are no gaps or cracks. Snakes are great ecape artists. Good luck and post a pic when you are done.
PJ & Jay :wavey:

cool, cheers ppl, ill have a google for that clay davenport site, sounds like a tennis player or summat? lol

I recently built a large viv out of 3/4 ply wood and used yacht varnish to seal it. My corn has corn has been in it just over 2 months and seems very happy. Make sure that the smell of varnish has totally gone before sutting your corn in there.

good luck.

Fordie said:
Have done a search on this but didnt find the info i was looking for.
Just want to know what the major do's n dont's are for building your own viv.
I was thinking of building something around 3/4 feet in length, with 1.5/2 feet height and width. The front is going to be glass sliding doors (with lock) and the rest is to be wood.
Are there any woods (other than pine i guess) that should definately not be used, or any adhesives or nails screws etc not to use? Any locks not to use, also what heat source would suit this viv size best?
Have built some huge cages for rats, mice, rabbits etc before so i think my skills are up to the job, just thought id check for anything i havent thought of.
Thanks people :cheers:

My advice for wood is to use birch plywood and forget any others. It's more expensive than other plywoods, but is is extremely nice and worth the price. As for heating, I would recommend some flexwatt heat tape. Put it on the bottom and secure a piece of acrylic over it and seal it off with caulk (this prevents a short if water spills). Or you could put down the flexwatt then put some linoleum over the entire floor. This way you could pull the linoleum up for easy cleaning.

Also, after cutting the pieces seal the wood BEFORE you build it. I was so pumped to build mine that I built them first thinking I'd just seal it afterwards, this was way harder! On mine that I built I also put some rubber molding around the bottom. This makes cleaning easier as poop just wipes right up off the rubber.

Anyways, if you have additional questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Back