• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Double pinkies or shorten time between feedings?

Bree

Bunny is now 16 grams and ready to move up... Tonight she let me know that she would eat my pinkies right off my hands if I didn't give her more! :uhoh:

I have been following the Munson plan and according to that she should now be bumped up to two pinkies per feeding, but when I mentioned that to my BF he looked worried. He suggested shortening the time-span between feedings from every 6 days to every 4 days instead, but keeping it to one pinky per meal. Are there any pros or cons to either of these plans? I want to do what's best for her and easiest on her digestion.

Thanks!

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with feeding every 4 days, maybe someone else could tell us more if there is but the rule of not holding the snake for a day or 2 after eating. You would never be able to hold your snake. lol

If it makes him feel better you can do 1 1/2 pinks at first. That would show that there really isn't that much of a difference in the belly bulge when your baby gets that big.

How big are your pinkies? A 16g. corn should be able to take a couple smaller pinkies (2g). I wouldn't recommend feeding more often than every 5 days. They need that extra time to finish digesting their previous meal.

Either way is fine. I have a trio of 2010 Mexican milk snakes that are much smaller than corn snakes. I started them of on one pinky every four days until a month ago and now have them on two pinkies at one feeding every week. I feed all my young snakes on a weekly basis and prefer that schedule for hatchlings as soon as possible. The important thing is to get them big enough so that they can feed on full furred and boned mice that are more nutritious.

I agree with the "either way is fine" philosophy. I've raised plenty of corn snakes feeding them every three days until they reached adulthood. Doubling up pinkies and feeding less often is fine too.

eat3.jpg

Thank you for the replies and recommendations!

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with feeding every 4 days, maybe someone else could tell us more if there is but the rule of not holding the snake for a day or 2 after eating. You would never be able to hold your snake. lol

If it makes him feel better you can do 1 1/2 pinks at first. That would show that there really isn't that much of a difference in the belly bulge when your baby gets that big.

Yes, I did think of that, too. I typically allow 2-3 days for digestion before handling her, so I really would have very little opportunity to handle her if I went to feeding every 4 days unless. Of course, my main concern is what would be healthiest for her, but I still would like to hold her.

How big are your pinkies? A 16g. corn should be able to take a couple smaller pinkies (2g). I wouldn't recommend feeding more often than every 5 days. They need that extra time to finish digesting their previous meal.

They range from 1-3 grams, with the majority weighing 2 grams.

Either way is fine. I have a trio of 2010 Mexican milk snakes that are much smaller than corn snakes. I started them of on one pinky every four days until a month ago and now have them on two pinkies at one feeding every week. I feed all my young snakes on a weekly basis and prefer that schedule for hatchlings as soon as possible. The important thing is to get them big enough so that they can feed on full furred and boned mice that are more nutritious.

Thank you for pointing out the nutrition issue... I was more focused on her feeling full than thinking about the nutrition aspect. She's growing like a little weed, so I think once I bump up her feedings she should get big enough for the bigger, healthier mice in no time.

I agree with the "either way is fine" philosophy. I've raised plenty of corn snakes feeding them every three days until they reached adulthood. Doubling up pinkies and feeding less often is fine too.

Thanks!

After reading the replies, I think I will keep to her on her current schedule of feeding every 6 days, but I will try her on double pinkies for her next feeding and see how she likes that.

Agree with what's been said. Either option will work.

I was more focused on her feeling full
Bear in mind that they're opportunistic in the wild and will eat anything that they find, when they find it. A Corn can sometimes eat more than is good for it, so don't worry if she takes food eagerly or hunts round for more afterwards. That's just instinct kicking in and not a signal that she actually needs more. In the wild, they might not find food again for a week or two so they need that instinct to survive. It's not necessary in captivity as we guarantee them regular meals.

I bump to doubles when they hit that weight. They do just fine. If you are worried try cutting off the legs. It'll make them go down easier and the cuts will allow digestive juices to get inside the mouse easier. I have one guy that only needed doubles for 2 feeds then jumped to peach fuzzies. The doubles were just what he needed to boost his growth.

I like the same schedule but double the pinks method too. I usually start with 2 pinkies that are smaller than the size the snake is now eating

You'll be surprised how quickly two pinks are absorbed by their little bellies. If you cut the skin on the pink's backs a little bit ( just one or two small nicks is all) The snake will digest them easier.

our corns are about the same size I was feeding 1 every 5 days and after looking at her closely it seemed like she needed more then I weighed her and she was about 16 grams. soi bumped her up to 2 pinks. she took the second no problem at all.now my debate is to wait 7 days or keep her on 2 pinks every 5 days.

Mt baby is at 21 grams now but when she hit 16 I bumped her up and she had no problem. she eeats 2 ounks every 5 days now not 4 but five if I try on day four she wont take but day 5 she has no problem

Thanks everyone! I feel much more comfortable about offering her double pinkies next feeding.

Bear in mind that they're opportunistic in the wild and will eat anything that they find, when they find it. A Corn can sometimes eat more than is good for it, so don't worry if she takes food eagerly or hunts round for more afterwards. That's just instinct kicking in and not a signal that she actually needs more. In the wild, they might not find food again for a week or two so they need that instinct to survive. It's not necessary in captivity as we guarantee them regular meals.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will try not to worry from now on when she acts like she's still really hungry after eating, as long as her weight is good.

Back