• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Drake has disappeared!

Pinklady

Drake and Odin
Tonight we went to feed the snakes. Odin was in his hide in his tank, Drake was nowhere to be found in his. :cry: He was definitely in there yesterday.
There were no obvious places he came out of the tank. We have sifted through the aspen, checked his hides etc.
We have put a fuzzy in a 2 litre bottle under the table his tank sits on.
I don't know how many bottle traps we should leave out.
If the fuzzy is still there in the morning do we bin it and use fresh or should I leave it there 24 hours?
My biggest concern is the fact my dogs can be in the same room as the tanks during the day. Are they likely to eat/have eaten the snake if they caught him. Would I be more likely to find a dead or chewed snake if one of them got him?
I have come home in the past to find a dog guarding a dead bird that the cat must have brought in so I'm hoping the same would happen if they found Drake. They are never interested in the snakes when we are handling them.
Drake is 9 months old and about 22 inches long.
We also have a cat who spends most of his time outside but does come into the house when the weather is bad.
The worst is not knowing. We have looked round the edges of the room, under bookcases etc. How likely is he to have crawled under the living room door and gone upstairs?
He has been missing a maximum of 24 hours, I have done a search and seen some snakes are gone for weeks/months and then suddenly turn up. so hopefully he will reappear :sobstory:

check your underwear drawer... thats where my Tallulah was hee hee :grin01:

warm dark places my dear

best of luck!! :cheers:

I got this idea from Kathy Love's book and it worked for me....line up toothpicks end to end (---) across any doorways. That way you have a visual sign if your snake enters or exits a room. One of my corns escaped a few months ago and I was able to tell from the toothpicks that he had gone into a closet. Hope this helps. Good luck and don't give up! :)

Pinklady said:
Tonight we went to feed the snakes. Odin was in his hide in his tank, Drake was nowhere to be found in his. :cry: He was definitely in there yesterday.
There were no obvious places he came out of the tank. We have sifted through the aspen, checked his hides etc.
We have put a fuzzy in a 2 litre bottle under the table his tank sits on.
I don't know how many bottle traps we should leave out.
If the fuzzy is still there in the morning do we bin it and use fresh or should I leave it there 24 hours?
My biggest concern is the fact my dogs can be in the same room as the tanks during the day. Are they likely to eat/have eaten the snake if they caught him. Would I be more likely to find a dead or chewed snake if one of them got him?
I have come home in the past to find a dog guarding a dead bird that the cat must have brought in so I'm hoping the same would happen if they found Drake. They are never interested in the snakes when we are handling them.
Drake is 9 months old and about 22 inches long.
We also have a cat who spends most of his time outside but does come into the house when the weather is bad.
The worst is not knowing. We have looked round the edges of the room, under bookcases etc. How likely is he to have crawled under the living room door and gone upstairs?
He has been missing a maximum of 24 hours, I have done a search and seen some snakes are gone for weeks/months and then suddenly turn up. so hopefully he will reappear :sobstory:

I have no information about dogs/cats behavior with snakes but you should definitely throw away the fuzzies that have been out overnight. It's not that likely that he crawled under the door to the upstairs because he probably went to the closest dark and warm area. But it never hurts to check. I've heard of someone losing a snake and then finding him 5 months later crawling on the sidewalk in front of his house! As well as someone finding one up on top of a closet shelf 5 feet in the air with no possible way to climb there!

Good luck!!! :D

Try crumpling up paper/plastic bags and leaving them in doorways, around the edges of rooms, etc, then turn the lights off (snakes move more in the dark) and sit in silence. You might hear crinkling as your snake slides over the bags.

Good luck!

I have thought of the flour/toothpicks at doors, but I live in a pretty open plan house and with 2 dogs, a cat and 2 boys it's going to be difficult to know who's moved the flour/toothpicks!
Tonight I'll try the plastic bags around the room and see what happens.
He didn't take the fuzzy in the bottle during the night. Yesterday was feeding day and he is a really good feeder, so I'll try again with that. He could be anywhere in the house so I'll maybe try leaving one upstairs too.

It's been 6 days now and no sign at all of Drake. There has been no rustling of the plastic bags and he hasn't taken a fuzzy.
He is now close to 2 weeks since he was last fed. We had been away for 2 weeks before then, so he was fed 22nd March, then 2 1/2 weeks later. He must be hungry. He will also have had no water for the past week.
I am wondering if he has maybe got under the floorboards. If he has done that he could have gone outside although I don't think it's been warm enough outside for him to have gone out.
I have warned my neighbour to look out for him!
Corns aren't native to the UK. If he has gone outside what are his chances of survival?
Still hoping I'll go into a cupboard and find his head poking out, but I'm concerned about the lack of water.

A few months after I got Mich he went missing for three months (yeah long time right) I had a left over live mouse so I put the mouse in a viv in my colset and 3 months later I found him in my sock drawer surprised I was. Then the mouse my sister took care of for 3 months went to Mich. She wasn't happy Ha-Ha. Good luck don't give up.

well, i have found that after awhile my snakes will head for the bathroom in search of water. Also they like to curl up in warm dark places. I know its not a corn, but my sister's baby milk snake was gone for over six weeks last summer and it had not eaten before it got out. I found it in my bathroom and it was VERY alive. This is kind of hard to explain, but i will try- My shower is the kind that has three panels instead of a curtain. Somehow the snake had climbed up into the bar that the panels side in. One morning i go to close it and it is stuck- so i pull harder and a snake practically falls on my head. I must say they can be found in the unexpected places. :eek1:

He's turned up!

After tearing my house apart for the last 8 days I found him without even looking!
I have wooden blinds at my window beside his tank, and although we looked at them, and they are open and closed every night when I moved them today he fell out and landed on the floor. At the bottom there are a few slats that rest on top of the radiator, and that seems to be where he appeared from.
I thought he was dead! He fell out and didn't move, but when we looked he was flicking his tongue.
He is now eating a fuzzy, then we will put him back and leave him alone for a few days to recover.
I can't believe that he was only about a foot away from his tank.
There hopefully won't be a next time, but if there is I'll know where to look!!

:crazy02:

Drake has been back in his viv for a few hours now, and seems ok.
He ate his fuzzy no problem, then took a long drink. He had been out for 9 days so must have been getting dehydrated-especially as he was hiding above the radiator.
He then spent a couple of hours trying to find a way out his viv!
Has he no gratitude-I figure if I was a snake, and I had the choice between a big viv with fresh water, climbing logs and a fuzzy every 6 days or being out, feeling hungry and thirsty and having to avoid 2 dogs and a cat which option I would choose!! :grin01:
Seriously though it's great he's back and I have made sure there are no gaps around the door of his viv so we don't need to go through this again.
Thanks for all the tips for finding lost snakes and words of encouragement while he was out :cheers:

It's such a good feeling to find them isn't it?

In my head I had him outside/gone for good/under the floorboards/attacked by the cat/attacked by the dog.

The whole time he was so close to his viv!

I wonder if he would have come out himself at some point, or if he would have stayed hiding.

I'm amazed none of the other pets so much as looked at where he was. When the snakes are out for handling neither the dogs or the cat are interested but I would have thought if he was out and we weren't around they would have thought he was fair game to play with.

Yeah we both lost and found our snake's when they were so close but we didn't know?. Cheers :cheers: :grin01:

Back